Celebrities with Diabetes
Diabetes is an illness that messes with your ability to process the energy in food. It's a growing concern in today's sugar-filled world and more people than ever are contracting the lifelong ailment - even the rich and famous! But diabetes doesn't have to stop you from living an active and fun life. Check out this list of some of the famous people, from athletes to celebrities and even world leaders, who are living with diabetes!
A full list of stars with diabetes would be massive and include lots of people you've never heard of. But here are a few celebs you may recognize from movies, TV, and even politics who have been diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes:
- Halle Berry - Diabetes didn't stop her from appearing as the super-powered mutant Storm in the X-Men movies. However, her recent statement that she's gone from having type 1 to type 2 diabetes did raise a lot of eyebrows - because it's impossible!
- Nick Jonas - This 14 year-old star of the pop rock band the Jonas Brothers was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2007.
- Adam Morrison - Diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 14, Adam worked hard and made it all the way to the NBA where he plays basketball for the Charlotte Bobcats.
- Gary Hall - This Olympic athlete didn't let type 1 diabetes stop him from earning a gold medal in swimming.
- Mike Huckabee - This former preacher isn't letting diabetes stop him from running for the 2008 Republican nomination in his quest to be the President of the United States!
- Elliott Yamin - After being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 16, he went on to become one of the top singers on American Idol in 2006.
- Vanessa Williams - Not only was Vanessa the first African-American Miss America, she is also a diabetic.
- Doug Burns - Mr. Universe doesn't let his type 1 diabetes stop him from being an award-winning bodybuilder.
- Jackie Robinson - The first black baseball player in the major leagues had diabetes.
- Anne Rice - The famous vampire novel writer is a diabetic.
- George Lucas - The creator of the Star Wars saga is a very mild type 2 diabetic.
- Chris Dudley - Before Adam Morrison, Chris Dudley played in the NBA with type 1 diabetes. Now he runs the Chris Dudley Organization to help kids with diabetes.
- Bret Michaels - The lead singer of Poison was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age six.
- Bill and John Davidson - The big bosses at Harley Davidson Motorcycles are diabetic.
- Mikhail Gorbachev - The former leader of the Soviet Union is a diabetic.
- Hatshepsut - According to historians, this long-dead female pharaoh of Egypt was a diabetic.
- Johnny Cash - The famous country musician was a diabetic.
- Evel Knievel - The most daring man to ever live was a diabetic.
- Peter O'Tool - The famous actor, who voiced Anton Ego in Ratatouille, is a diabetic.
- Elvis Presley - The former king of rock 'n roll had diabetes.
- Sharon Stone - Halle's Catwoman co-star also suffers from type 1 diabetes.
- Thomas Edison - The inventor of the light bulb was a diabetic.
- HG Wells - The famed science-fiction author had diabetes.
- Nicole Johnson - 1999's Miss America has diabetes.
- Kendall Simmons - Busting heads on offense for the Pittsburgh Steelers keeps this diabetic athlete busy.
For more info on the disease, check out our Dealing With Diabetes article!