Kw-logo-smaller

Photography Composition :: Tips and Tricks

Mar 28, 2012
Elevate your snapshots with a few composition tricks!
Photography Basics

There's more to taking a good photo than simply pointing and shooting. We've got the photography basics that will turn your snapshots into works of art!

Think About Your Focal Point

Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in a great view or a funny moment, but try to take a second to think about what the actual focal point of your picture is. Don't just wildly point and shoot.

Change Your Point of View

Whether you're taking a picture of your dog, cat, or baby sister, get down on their level to do it. Don't be afraid to sit down - or even lay down - to get a clearer shot.

Vertical or Horizontal?

Don't forget that you can either take a photo vertically or horizontally (also know as portrait or landscape). Take a second to consider what will look best for the subject you're trying to photograph. The Eiffel Tower, for example, might look best vertically while a picture of your cabin at summer camp could look its best horizontally. Don't be afraid to turn the camera!

Keep an Eye on Your Background

In general, it's best to avoid cluttered or busy backgrounds for your subject. Also, keep an eye out for signs, poles or anything else that could look like they're "poking out" from behind your subject.

Use "Fill Flash"

Your flash isn't just for use indoors or at night. To brighten shadowed faces when the sun is overhead or to stand the subject apart from the background on cloudy days, use your flash! Give it a try. It's a handy trick.

The Rule of Thirds

The subject of your pic doesn't always need to go in the middle. To use this composition rule, imagine there are tic-tac-toe lines on your viewfinder. Place your subject at one of the intersections of the lines and take the picture. Proponents of this technique think it makes a picture more interesting. Give it a shot and see if you agree!

Look Out for Shadows

Keep and eye on where the shadows are in your picture. If a shadow falls across your subject's face, for example, reposition yourself to get better light.

Be a Little Bossy

Don't be shy to ask people (politely) to move closer together, smile, or change their position to get the shot you like the best!

Related Stories:
>
>

readers voted!

Comments

LovesSchool123
I am in a photography class and i love it
commented: Wed Mar 26, 2014

kenzeebee

kenzeebee wrote:

I wanna be a photographer when i grow up!! :)
commented: Thu Dec 05, 2013

Surfs_Up_Girl

Surfs_Up_Girl wrote:

Photography's my passion
commented: Thu Dec 05, 2013

there are 17 more comments

Please login or register to add comments

share with your friends


Twitter Facebook Myspace Digg


like this article?
Sign up now to get more just like!

latest videos

F1113348617812

Do You Have a Digital Camera?

  • Yes.
  • No.
  • I don't - but my parents do.
  • No - I just have one of those old ones that uses film.

related stories

Micro_how to take a photo-micro
Lots of people are camera shy, but are you shy of using a camera? Taking fantastic photos can be ...
Micro_yearbook_micro
The end of the school year is coming up fast. And that may mean you’re looking forward to getting...
Use the Barbie Digital Camera to take digital pics and make your own calendars, birthday cards an...

Random in the forums

american_brit
american_brit posted in Debating:
"Crisanna" wrote:AlphaT: it's not even living yet, it doesn't have a heart beat! If you take a pregnancy test, it shows positive, and then you go to a feminine doctor to make sure, do you get an ultrasound? No because you won't find a heartbeat. You get a blood test, or maybe even a pee sample. A child heart's start beating after 22 days of conception. A women does not have an abortion before 22 days (or even right after). It's extremely dangerous. 
reply less than a minute
Crisanna
Crisanna posted in Debating:
"Teh_Skittlez" wrote: "Crisanna" wrote: AlphaT: it's not even living yet, it doesn't have a heart beat! If you take a pregnancy test, it shows positive, and then you go to a feminine doctor to make sure, do you get an ultrasound? No because you won't find a heartbeat. You get a blood test, or maybe even a ##### sample. Heartbeat is not the measure of living or not living. Many organisms don't even have hearts. It is 'alive', but not conscious. I think that's the more important distinction.  Yes this is true. But let me put it this way. Let's say a 13 year old girl got pregnant against her will. She, and her baby, may not make it through the birth. And with the possibilty of her death and the baby's, you'll still say that she can not get an abortion? That is just not right.
reply 1 minute
Teh_Skittlez
Teh_Skittlez posted in Debating:
"AlphaT" wrote: "Teh_Skittlez" wrote: Which is why I made the ant comparison. All living things have some value, and killing any of them is morally wrong. However, we do not treat all death or all killing the same way, and I do not believe that locking people in prison for abortion is going to resolve the fact that sometimes women will try to get rid of their pregnancies.   With all crime, making it illegal will not resolve it. But it will slim down immensely. Okay but now we're imprisoning otherwise productive members of society, for the goal of 'sending a message' that society doesn't approve of abortion. I think that's rather totalitarian. 
reply 1 minute
-Karpov-
-Karpov- posted in Debating:
"AlphaT" wrote: "Teh_Skittlez" wrote: Which is why I made the ant comparison. All living things have some value, and killing any of them is morally wrong. However, we do not treat all death or all killing the same way, and I do not believe that locking people in prison for abortion is going to resolve the fact that sometimes women will try to get rid of their pregnancies.   With all crime, making it illegal will not resolve it. But it will slim down immensely. That's definitely NOT how crime works. When you make something illegal that people want you just create an unsafe market for it. Prohibition is the best example of this 
reply 2 minutes
Teh_Skittlez
Teh_Skittlez posted in Debating:
"american_brit" wrote:   Teh_Skittlez,  I don't believe the argument is whether or not women should be punished.   If abortion is illegal, is that not presumably what would be happening? 
reply 2 minutes

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

1515_gl_kidzworld_100x100_jpg_fz

Intriguing planets, weird and wonderful characters; challenge friends and find a...

157262_(2)

When you go back to Candyland, you’ll wonder why you ever left in the first plac...

100x100_ra_logo_girl

Uncle George has left you his farm, but unfortunately it’s in pretty bad shape. ...

_thumb_100x100

Shoot blobs with different properies to merge yellow blobs. Your blobs can be re...