Volunteering for the Olympics
Thousands of volunteers are required to help stage the Olympic Games and welcome the world. Find out how you can join the team by becoming a volunteer!
Each host city depends on anywhere from 20,000 up to 100,000 volunteers to make sure the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games run smoothly and successfully. When the 2008 Summer Olympics kick off in Beijing on August 8, 2008, there will be a total of 100,000 people volunteering for the Games, with an additional 400,000 volunteers on-hand to provide information, translation, first aid and other services around the competition venues in the city. So you can see how important volunteers are to the Olympics! Volunteers must be enthusiastic, dedicated, and committed while carrying out a range of duties, like preparing the opening and closing ceremonies, greeting athletes and visitors, and helping out during sporting events. Unfortunately, you won't be able to pick and choose your volunteer position since roles will be assigned based on your skills, experience, availability and location.
Coming to a City Near You!
If either the Summer or Winter Olympics is coming to your city in the future, then don't pass up the opportunity to volunteer! It's a great way to build your volunteer portfolio and gain valuable work experience.
- If you want to volunteer for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, then go to www.vancouver2010.com.
- If you want to volunteer for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, then go to www.london2012.com.
- To get more information on volunteering for the Olympics, head on over to www.olympic.org!
- Great Moments in Olympic History
- Olympic Athletes to Watch
- Quiz! Summer Olympics Trivia
- More Volunteer Opportunities!