Jack Black Biography
Birthdate: August 28, 1969
Birthplace: Santa Monica, California
Jack Black is the boisterous actor and talented musician who played a substitute teacher in School of Rock and voiced Po in the animated CG movie, Kung-Fu Panda. Jack is also one half of the hilarious musical duo, Tenacious D—the group had its own TV show, nationwide tour, and even made a movie in 2006 called Tenacious D: The Pic of Destiny. Jack also hosted the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards in 2006.
Jack Black's big break came in 2000 when he was cast in the cult movie, High Fidelity, as Barry, the loud-mouthed record store snob. Since then he's gone on to starring roles in King Kong, Shallow Hal and Nacho Libre, and voiced Lenny in A Shark Tale.
Did You Know?
- Jack Black is a member of the Frat Pack, an unofficial group of comedic actors who frequently work together—members include Ben Stiller, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Owen & Luke Wilson and Steve Carell.
- Jack likes to read the Lemony Snicket series
- He has been on Saturday Night Live five times—three as host, once as musical guest and once with Tenacious D.
- He voiced Milo, the rival comic book storeowner in an episode of The Simpsons.
- Jack won $125,000 for charity when he appeared on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
- One of Jack's favorite movies is the silly zombie spoof, Shaun of the Dead.
- Jack advises accompanying your date to the laundromat—there's less stress because it's not an official "date" and you can be yourself without worrying about what to say.
- He was nominated for a Golden Globe for his performance in School of Rock.