Kw-halloween-logo-small

Hawaiian Lei Day

May 01, 2014

In 1928 a poet named Don Blanding suggested there should be a holiday honoring the Hawaiian custom of making and wearing lei. As a result, May 1st became Lei Day. If you’re ever on the Hawaiian island of O'ahu on May 1st, you'll get to experience this Hawaiian holiday first-hand!

May Day is Lei Day

The first Lei Day was held on May 1st, 1928. Everyone in Honolulu was encouraged to wear lei. Festivities were held downtown with hula, music, lei-making demonstrations and exhibits and lei-making contests.

Today on O`ahu, Lei Day festivities are centered in Queen Kapi`olani Park in Waikiki. Many celebrations are also held at local elementary schools, involving the crowning of Lei Day kings, queens and princesses. Festivals and celebrations also happen on all the major Hawaiian islands.

Make Your Own Hawaiian Lei

A flower lei is known worldwide as a symbol of the aloha spirit! Whether for love, friendship or good luck, these colorful, fragrant flowers are used for graduations, weddings, birthdays, and many other celebrations. Here’s how to make a traditional Hawaiian flower lei out of paper:

  1. Cut a piece of yarn long enough to hand loosely around your neck (make sure you cut a little bit longer so there’s room to tie the ends together).
  2. Get some colorful drinking straws and cut them into inch-long pieces.
  3. Cut as many flower shapes out of colored construction paper as you want. They can be all different shapes and sizes.
  4. Use a hole puncher to punch holes in the middle of every flower shape you cut out.
  5. Tie one piece of the cut-up straw onto the end of the yarn.
  6. Start stringing your flowers and straw pieces onto the yarn, alternating between flowers and straws.
  7. When you’re done, tie the two ends of the yarn together and put your lei around your neck! Aloha!
Related Stories

 

>
>

readers voted!

Comments

JennyD

JennyD wrote:

thanx
commented: Fri Aug 09, 2013

pricetag

pricetag wrote:

lei's are so beautiful
commented: Fri Aug 09, 2013

heypeoples346

heypeoples346 wrote:

It's ok :) :)
commented: Fri Aug 09, 2013

there are 19 more comments

Please login or register to add comments


like this article?
Sign up now to get more just like!

latest videos

Poll

How Do You Say "Hello" in Hawaiian?

  • Mahalo.
  • Aloha.
  • Hula.
  • Holoholo.

related stories

When a cute runaway alien genetic Experiment 626 crash-lands on Earth, it’s up to the independent...
Looking for cool ways to get the fam off the couch and into the great outdoors? Check out ...
Ready for the adventure of a lifetime? We give you the 411 on the coolest guided kayak ...
Had your heart set on jetting off to Hawaii this summer? Well, you can turn your ba...

Random in the forums

shae508
shae508 posted in General:
OOOOOoooohhhh You had toooo.. -starts music- IM ONLY HUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
reply less than a minute
Dragongirl134
Dragongirl134 posted in Food:
noodles, celery, and juice
reply 6 minutes
AlphaT
AlphaT posted in Debating:
"-Karpov-" wrote: "WhiteIrishRose" wrote:  I mean think about it once we where all just clumps of sells, and now we are walking talking, and breathing. That's not a miracle, it's the result of natural processes that have been understood in great detail for some time now. Dude it's totally miracles. You really think SCIENCE can turn CELLS into PEOPLE???
reply 35 minutes
amazing_tiger
amazing_tiger posted in Debating:
"egyptiscool" wrote: "amazing_tiger" wrote: I know I can understand yours... I'm not completely afraid of it but I absolutely hate it except it's not because i find it gross i's just because i feel empathy for the person throwing up and i hate doing it myself it's uncomfortable  Yeah I am the same, but I hate the look of it and so do I it is so uncomfortable... I was like that last night... I ate something yesterday that me feel unwell...
reply 42 minutes
egyptiscool
egyptiscool posted in Debating:
"amazing_tiger" wrote:I know I can understand yours... I'm not completely afraid of it but I absolutely hate itexcept it's not because i find it gross i's just because i feel empathy for the person throwing up and i hate doing it myself it's uncomfortable 
reply 44 minutes

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

Big_icon_(7)

Have you ever fancied being a ranger like those fantasy characters you love so m...

Big_icon_(4)

You run across the city in a car chase with the police officers.

Big_icon_(6)

The evil master kidnapped all of your friends!

Ow_fright_ad_100x100

Explore the world or hang out with friends in your own condo. Get a unique look,...