Dear Dish-it: Getting Along with Dad
My dad yells but it makes me cry. What should I do?
Mom and Dad
Sounds like you’re having some trouble getting along with your dad. Remember, your dad is one of the most important people in your life and, as your parent, it’s his job to love and guide you through life. That’s why it’s super important to try and get along with your dad as best you can.
Here are five ways you can stay close, get along and build a stronger relationship with your dad. These tips may also help him stop yelling so much:
- Spend time together. It might be easy to be physically in the same place as your dad (like at home). But how much time do you spend just enjoying each other's company? Instead of playing a computer game or watching TV, maybe ask your dad to play with you. Go outside together, try a board game or read a book out loud.
- Share your feelings and ask for help. Your dad might not know that you're having a problem or that you don’t like it when he yells. Tell him if you're sad or struggling with something. If you don't usually do this, it can feel funny at first. Try it and you'll be glad you did.
- Be kind. Little things might mean a lot to your dad. You can brighten his day with a hug, a card or a joke. It's also nice when a kid offers to help fold the laundry or cleans up his or her room without being asked. And if you try not to fight with your brothers or sisters, your dad might be so happy, he’ll never yell at you again!
- Show you care. Some families are always kissing, hugging and saying "I love you." Other families aren't as lovey-dovey. But it's important to show that you care for each other. In addition to kisses and hugs, kids and parents show their love by respecting each other, being caring, polite and thoughtful.
- Do your best at whatever you do. You don't have to be perfect, but when you do your best, you make your dad proud. It makes him happy to see how you're turning into such a great kid. Why? Because it lets him know he’s doing a good job being your dad.
Have Your Say
Any of you Kidzworld members out there have any suggestions for parents girl about how she can get along better with her dad, or how she can get her dad to stop yelling so much??? Write them in the Comments section below!