Curly Hair Do's and Don'ts!
Bouncy and defined curls is what most of us aim for when we try and style our naturally curly hair! But it doesn’t always work that way as heat, humidity and using the wrong products can wreak havoc with your natural hair texture. Sometimes you need a bit of help with how to care for your curly locks and Kidzworld has some handy do’s and don’t that curly haired girls should follow for the healthiest and shiniest locks while letting your hair’s natural texture shine through!. Here are our top curly hair care tips!
- 1. Don’t brush your hair. Curly hair is a lot more prone to breakage because the hair cuticle is facing in different directions. Brushing it can cause hair breakage. Be gentle with your hair!
- 2. Hair care experts all agree that you should shampoo your hair as infrequently as possible. If you have fine hair you can wash it every other day but concentrate on your scalp. For medium to thick hair you can get away with using shampoo once a week and only rinsing your hair with water on other days.
- 3. Trim your hair every three months. This keeps the ends looking fresh and healthy, especially if your hair is prone to dryness! .
- 4. Styling tip: To redefine your curls, after a hot shower stay in there a few more minutes to let the steam soak into your hair. This will rejuvenate your curls - apply styling cream to your hair as soon as you get out of the shower.
- 5. If you have long hair, cut long layers into it to lighten it and make it look less bottom heavy. Be careful not to cut layers that are too short or you could end up with overly puffy hair! The shortest should be at your chin.
- 6. Don’t let anyone cut your hair with a razor. This technique roughens up the hair cuticle and makes it prone to frizziness.
- 7. Use moisturizing hair products that contain ingredients like shea butter, palm oil and avocado oil. Look for hair products that are made especially for curly hair.
- 8. Conditioner is your friend! Condition once in the shower with a moisturizing conditioner and then use a leave-in conditioner when you’re out of the shower. This helps to lock in moisture by creating a humidity barrier for your hair! Once a week use a deep conditioning hair masque.
- 9. Invest in a good styling cream and anti-frizz lotion. This will add the final step before you go outside to seal your hair cuticle to prevent frizz and keep out unwanted moisture. If your hair is fine, use a water-based product. If your hair is medium to thick, look for something silicone based. We like Dove Damage Therapy Frizz Control Taming Cream.
- 10. Air dry your hair whenever you can. After getting out of the shower, apply leave-in conditioner and anti-frizz cream. Then twist small sections of your hair around your fingers to create soft ringlets. Hold for 15-20 seconds and release. Try not to touch or mess with your hair until it’s dry so the curls remain defined.
- 11. If you must heat style your hair, invest in a diffuser attachment for your hairdryer and a curling iron. The diffuser spreads the heat out so your curls dry evenly. Use the curling iron to define curls when your hair is completely dry.
- 12. On days where you don’t want to style your hair, rock the messy bun! This looks amazing on curly haired girls because of the natural volume in your hair. Pull out a few tendrils around your face for a softer look just like Emma Roberts. Just simply twist hair up loosely and pin with bobby pins!
Aveda Be Curly hair products