-
x

Meet New Friends!

Recommended friends are based on your interests. Make sure they are up to date.

Friends ff8c072dd79a91c1300f032d674241a8d64367100ffb1f25fa3f9bec4a05319f
Kidzworld Logo

Star of Stone (Century Quartet Book 2) Book Review

Star of Stone (Century Quartet Book 2) Book Review - Reviewed by Kidzworld on Dec 10, 2010
( Rating: 4 Star Rating)

Four friends follow coded postcards in their quest to save the world. Check out Star of Stone, book 1 in the Century Quartet.

Title: Star of Stone
Authors: P.D. Baccalario
Ages: 10+
Rating: 4


A new mystery brings friends Harvey from New York, Sheng from Shanghai, Elettra from Rome, and Mistral from Paris together in the Big Apple, along with their adult friend Ermete. But this mystery stems from the last. In book one, The Ring of Fire, the four kids were given a briefcase by a man named Alfred Van Der Berger, who was murdered shortly after. Inside they found four tos tops that they risked their lives to protect.


Courtesy of Random HouseCourtesy of Random House

The Postcards

In Star of Stone, the kids learn about Alfred Van Der Berger’s life back in New York, and follow a series of postcards that he wrote, each containing a numerical code. The postcards take them all around NYC in search of something called the Star of Stone. But they’re being hunted by a grotesque night club owner and his band of beautiful, violent women.


The End of the World

Meanwhile, Harvey’s dad, an oceanographer, has learned about a drastic rise in the ocean’s temperatures—a rise that could cause the end of the world.


The Bottom Line

Century Quartet #2: Star of Stone is much more engaging than the first book, The Ring of Fire. Not only do you learn about interesting historical facts, but you get a good sense of New York City. The characters are more developed and the potential for the end of the world is much more intense. We can only imagine what will happen in books three and four.


Related Stories
2 Comments

Related Stories

Micro thesight micro
In Judy Blundell's two book collection, The Sight: Premonitions and Disappearance, Gracie investi...
Micro sixtyeightrooms micro
While visiting the Thorne Rooms exhibit at the Chicago Art Institute, best friends Ruthie and Jac...
Micro starforest gallery
Star In The Forest by Laura Resau is one of those books you can’t put down. It’s about immigratio...
Poll

Creepiest Place for a Mystery?

  • Graveyards, duh!
  • Spooky old houses.
  • Anywhere late at night.
  • Math class. Aaah!

General In The Forums

jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Please stay on topic, if you have any more concerns you can comment either myself or kirsten. 
reply about 2 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
"AlphaT" wrote: "jordand08" wrote: "AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? Your very first sentence. Yes its suppose  to be saracastic, but not everything has to be answered with as a joke, because some people take offense to it.
reply about 2 hours
AlphaT
AlphaT posted in Say Anything:
"jordand08" wrote:"AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? 
reply about 2 hours
Kirsteeeeen
thanks for posting this Kristen. I think that it is a tough subject to talk about with other people and honestly I think it's good to talk about it in a moderate amount. Now that more pepole are being diagnosed with learning differences or some sort of other mental health disorder, I think that talking about it and informing people will only make it easier for people to feel less awkward or the odd man out. That's how I found about that I am not the only person in the room who has ADD. I'm more willing to come out and talk to people and discribe what I have to go through on a daily basis to raise awareness. School will always be hard for me so I look at my strengths to help push me forward in life.  Thank you for sharing! First of all I'd like to say I admire your bravery and I hope that things continue to improve. :) I agree, talking about it in a moderate amount is useful, as is reminding ourselves that mental health starts anybody, and that coping strategies and learning to love yourself are important no matter what, inside AND outside of a situation that would require therapy. It's also definitely helpful to know you're not the only one. And that there are so many successful people who have battled the same battles and still came out on top. Again, thank you. :)
reply about 3 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing?  First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional.  Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV).  My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with.  Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported
reply about 3 hours