Q&A With James Maslow From BTR!
Big Time Rush is without a doubt one of the biggest pop sensations rising today, and with a tour about to kick off and their song “Boyfriend” topping the charts “Big Time” and “Rush” describe them perfectly! But James Maslow (or James Diamond!) still had time to talk to us!
Kidzworld: Did you always know you wanted to be involved with music?
- James Maslow: I always did it for fun, when I was 6 I did in a child choir my mom put me in and I didn’t like it at first, but within two weeks I totally fell in love with it , and then knew I’d be performing in some way all my life. I then went to a performing arts school.
Kidzworld: What was it like to get the part in Big Time Rush?
- James Maslow: It was more of a relief than anything! It was a two year audition process, I was there at the first audition they ever had, they have a screen test, forward with project, another screen test, nothing happened, Logan was also in first round, had each other to talk to, and we were just hopeful everything would move forward.
Kidzworld: In the show, BTR are originally Hockey Players, are you athletic off-screen?
- James Maslow: I’m definitely athletic, every day doing something, basketball, or gym, but I’m not a great hockey player these days, haven’t played, or put on skates in a while and the other day I had to for the show, and yeah, I could use the practice.
Kidzworld: What are some differences between the show and how things actually happened for you guys?
- James Maslow: The first episode is a caricature of what actually happened, we went through boy band bootcamp, then 3 days in LA , then cutting people, the audition process is like that, but in real life it doesn’t have the same over the top energy we have on the show but, that’s actually our lives.
Kidzworld: How are you different from your character in the show?
- James Maslow: We’re very different, James Diamond is really motivated by material objects and rewards, money, cars, I am motivated by the opportunity to do this, to perform, and to do it forever.
Kidzworld: What do you think makes you different from the other, Big Time Rush guys?
- James Maslow: I actually show up on time! No they’re pretty good, just always five, or ten minutes late, and I’m always early, just raised that way. We’re all very different, but share similar humor. Like Logan and I crack each other up all day every day. And I’d say I’m incredibly dedicated.
Kidzworld: Have you ever been on tour before? Are you excited for BTR’s tour?
- James Maslow: This summer we’re playing forty dates, radio fairs, some Europe, some here, we’ve played small shows, just played our first full hour set and it went really well. It’s really exciting for us. We just got to perform at the Kids’ Choice Awards, and that was really fun, it was great.
Kidzworld: What would you like to see happen for BTR in the future?
- James Maslow: Musically we are already doing it, our record just went gold, “Boyfriend” is doing really well on the charts. We’d like our second album to do even better. See the show just getting bigger and bigger with more music, and guest stars. The more crazy it gets the better!
Kidzworld: What’s something most people don’t know about you?
- James Maslow: I’m very independent, I’m living on my own at 17, you know, I love my dad, love him to death, but I’ve always been independent and been very proud of that.