Nolan Sotillo Q&A
Nolan Sotillo starred in Disney’s hit teen drama/comedy Prom as the loveable and love-struck soccer-star sophomore Lucas. Off-screen Nolan is a talented musician as well as an actor, and he couldn’t be more excited about Prom’s release on DVD and Blu-ray later this month! Find out more in his Kidzworld Q&A.
KW: Are you excited for the release of Prom on DVD and Blu-ray?
- Nolan: There’s so many great things that are gonna be on the Blu-ray, cause I know the DVD only has a couple things, the Blu-ray had bloopers, deleted scenes, seven music videos, it also has this thing with Nicholas Braun where “boy needs to find a prom date” continues.
KW: How did you get the part of Lucas?
- Nolan: When it actually occurred, when I found out I booked it I was freaked, it was just another audition you know? It kind of pays off to try your best at every audition you never know what can happen, you can get a hundred nos but if you just get one yes it can change your life. I really love the character Lucas so I think I was really feeling it at the time, and when I read the script I thought it was funny and interesting.
KW: Do you think you’re similar to Lucas in any ways?
- Nolan: Yeah I feel like there are a couple aspects of us that are similar, music is a big part of his life, he’s in love with his band and his best friend, music is a big part of my life and I have a really close best friend, but thankfully I’m not as awkward around girls as Lucas, but other than that I feel like we’re really close.
KW: What was the best part of being on the set of PROM?
- Nolan: Bringing my guitar to set everyday and just jamming with anybody from people in the caf or extras behind the scenes, it was such a great experience
KW: What did you like most about the story?
- Nolan: My favorite part is when Yin or May I should say, tells Justin that she’s going to dump him, it’s a really harsh and touching scene and it kind of shows just how they were so close and they’re supposed to be this perfect couple, and he says “Look at me, it’s enough.” That for me, personally, was the best line in the movie.
KW: What has been your favourite role you ever played?
- Nolan: Prom is the first film I did, so it would definitely be Lucas.
KW: We hear you are musical, what instruments do you play?
- Nolan: I play guitar, piano, and I’m learning to play the drums
KW: Do have plans to pursue a career in music?
- Nolan: Yes that’s definitely an interest of mine, I would like to be able to do both, and a lot of the times they won’t take an actor seriously in the singing industry or a singer seriously in the acting industry. Singing was probably my first love, and song writing. I write a lot of love songs and heartbreaking songs.
KW: When did you first start performing?
- Nolan: I always liked performing in front of my parents friends, my dad bought me a karaoke machine and I would put on a Michael Jackson song like Thriller, and I would come out with like a hat and a jacket and like moonwalk in my socks, so I was always performing. Sixth to eighth grade I used to do musicals at my school, but I really started getting serious about it January of 2010, that’s when I moved to LA and decided to really pursue this.
KW: Do you have any projects coming up soon?
- Nolan: Yes I have a Disney pilot called Madison High, and it’s a spinoff of High School Musical, so it’s singing and dancing. I play a character called Colbie Baker, he’s an anime artist and his drawings are incredible but his number one motto is “don’t stand out” and his cousin comes to school and he tells her that and his cousin doesn’t really listen and she does the exact opposite, she signs up for clubs and starts talking to everybody, it’s kind of a fun storyline.
KW: What actors or musicians do you look up to the most?
- Nolan: I look up to Michael Jackson a lot, he’s just so incredible and his message was just amazing, I feel that if we have the ability to make a difference we should and he did, and his family still does. I’m a big fan of Bruno Mars, he’s a strong writer and producer.
What’s Your Fave...
- Movie: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Musician: Bruno Mars
- Book: Old Yeller
- Food: Candy
Check out the trailer for Prom here:
Have Your Say
Did you see Prom yet? What did you think of the movie? Let us know by leaving your comment below!