Aimee Teegarden Talks Fashion And Beauty
With the Blu-ray and DVD of Disney’s film Prom coming out soon, we sat down with Actress Aimee Teegarden to find out more about the fun and original film that follows a group of high school students as they learn the complex truths of growing up, balancing relationships and enjoying the most memorable time of their lives.
How does it feel to be the star of Prom?
- It feels great. It’s exciting, but it’s been a long time coming. I’ve been in the business for 10 years already and I’m only 20 years old. That’s half my life!
It must be thrilling to see your name on billboards across the globe…
- It’s amazing and I’m really excited about everything to do with this movie. I worked on a TV show called Friday Night Lights for the last five years, so I’ve been able to move from a critically acclaimed TV show into a huge Disney movie. It’s really rewarding and exciting – and it’s also a little nerve-wracking.
Let’s talk fashion, Aimee! Do you like the clothes your character wears in Prom?
- I love Nova Prescott’s clothes in the movie. She has a lot of really cute pieces, but she’s not got the same sense of style as me.
How would you describe your personal sense of style?
- My own personal sense of style is very feminine. I love classic pieces in my wardrobe, but I’m also accepting of new trends and fashion-forward outfits. Fashion is fun, and I enjoy playing around with it!
How much input did you have into Nova’s look in the movie?
- If you look closely at the fashion in the movie, you’ll notice that there are a lot of pastel colors. You don’t see many black or dark-colored outfits because we wanted to keep everything light. In real life, I’m a big fan of black. Black is amazing!
What do you think of the fashion of the movie?
- I think all of the outfits look great. The pastel palate is beautiful! We tried really hard to create relatable characters and we didn’t want them wearing anything too trendy because we wanted to produce a timeless movie. We want people to be able to watch Prom in 10 years and still feel like the fashion is relevant.
What does fashion mean to you?
- Fashion is a big expression of who you are, so I think of it as a creative outlet.
- Sometimes, I’m the type of girl who throws on whatever I can find that is clean in my bedroom – but I make an effort when I’m going to an event or a premiere. On those days, I like to make a statement with my wardrobe.
Who is your fashion icon?
- I think Zoe Saldana wears amazing outfits on the red carpet, and I think Anne Hathaway and Reese Witherspoon always look gorgeous. I don’t have just one fashion icon… I like loads of different fashionistas.
What’s your favorite fashion trend at the moment?
- I love the print trend going on right now. I love the different prints you can find on dresses, skirts, tops and even shoes. I think that’s fun and exciting, although I don’t like it when people match up double prints.
What do you mean by that?
- Some people think it’s fun to wear stripes with floral patterns, but I don’t like it. Don’t mix up the prints!
What one fashion item can’t you live without?
- I can’t live without a great bag. It doesn’t have to be a big bag, but a well-made bag that can take a lot of abuse is a must in my life. My bag is always getting thrown around and it’s overstuffed. It’s in and out of cars, trains and planes, so it has to be very sturdy.
What can we always find in your bag?
- What’s always in my bag? You’ll find typical stuff like my phone and wallet, but you’ll also find some green teabags and a highlighter pen for scripts.
Is there anything else you never leave home without?
- I also carry around a little pocket planner that I would be lost without. It charts my whole life! I tried going digital, but it’s not the same. Oh, and you’ll also find some lavender lime lip treatment to keep my lips moist. Lavender is lovely.
What’s your makeup style?
- When it comes to red carpets, I love dramatic eye makeup and big lashes. I’m starting to experiment with colored lipsticks as well – but I tend to keep it very clean and simple in my everyday life away from work. I just put on a little mascara and that’s it. If anything takes longer than 10 minutes, I’m over it.
What are your beauty secrets?
- My top beauty tip would be to use organic and natural products whenever possible because you don’t want to add weird chemicals to your skin. Exfoliation is also key, too. I exfoliate every day and I love, love, love it! It refreshes your skin cells and it makes you feel really clean.
Do you work hard to take care of your skin?
- I do, which is why I always wear lots of SPF. If you want to have beautiful-looking skin well into your 80s, you’ve got to work at it.
Are there any other beauty tips you want to add?
- Drinking lots of water and getting lots of sleep is essential in life. People don’t put enough emphasis on getting a good eight hours of sleep every night. It really does help your skin stay clear.
Do you love acting?
- Of course I do! I love my job. I couldn’t see myself doing anything else in this world. This is a dream come true for me and it’s a lot of hard work, but it’s also a lot of fun, too. I couldn’t ask for anything better!
Prom is available on Blu-ray and DVD August 30th!