J Byrd Q&A
13-year-old Wisconsin rapper Sam Freckman, also known as J Byrd, couldn’t believe it when his video for Green and Yellow, a take on Wiz Khalifa’s Black and Yellow aimed at his favorite football team, reached 1 million hits on YouTube. He even got to perform with his musical inspiration, Tech N9ne. Find out more about J Byrd in his Kidzworld Q&A!
J Byrd couldn't believe that Green and Yellow became so big, so fast!
J Byrd opened for his idol Tech N9ne
J's whole family are "die-hard" Green Bay Packer fans
KW: What inspired you to write Green and Yellow?
- J Byrd: well, my manager told me to write something to the original Black and Yellow, and my brother actually gave me the idea, the do "Green and Yellow", and since my whole family are die-hard [Green Bay] Packer fans, I made it happen. I had no idea it would turn out to be my biggest song.
KW: What was it like meeting Tech N9ne? Why is he your idol?
- J Byrd: My legs were shaking and I thought I was gonna pass out, that’s how big he is in my life. I grew up listening to his music and always dreamed of shaking his hand...let alone opening up for the guy! I wouldn't be rapping if it wasn't for Tech, his speed and rhyming is unbelievable.
KW: Have you always been interested in music?
- J Byrd: Yes, I started writing when I was 9, just big blocks of random words that didn’t make sense, but the words rhymed, later down the road I learned to make sense and rap about life experiences and whatever comes to mind, whatever I need to get off my chest or what I’m mad about. If I just hung out with the hottest girl I've ever met, then imma write about it.
KW: Would you say you’re a big sports fan?
- J Byrd: I really like football, I played in the 5th grade, I played linebacker and wide receiver, 2nd fastest on my time, but the reason I didn’t keep on playing is cause I’m really bad at running long distance. I get winded easily, but 40's and stuff I’m really fast.
KW: How did you come up with your stage name?
- J Byrd: I made it up when I was younger, around 11, when I didn't know I was gonna get this big, and the “J” is cause of my middle name, John, but honestly I would change it if I could
KW: How did you feel when you first realized that Green and Yellow was going viral?
- J Byrd: I was suprised, I thought it would be one of those songs that are just thrown in the mix that no one really realizes, but it was the complete opposite, I was really stoked.
KW: Who are some artists you look up?
- J Byrd: Tech N9ne (of course), Kid Cudi cause his lyrics are so deep and really speak to me, and Eminem.
KW: Who would you like to work with in future?
- J Byrd: I think it would be awesome to work with Wiz Khalifa or Eminem, and I actually think it would be legit if I did a song with Justin Bieber.
KW: What are your favorite hobbies (outside of music)
- J Byrd: Working out, kickin it with my bros, and hangin with some females.
- Book: Green Eggs and Ham
- Song: Worldwide Choppers
- Food: Crab
- School subject: Lunch
Check out J Byrd's Super Bowl anthem, Green and Yellow: