Winter Skincare Tips
Winter can be tough on skin, making it dry, itchy, red, scaly, or flaky. With a little TLC (tender loving care), you can baby your skin and survive whatever Mother Nature throws at you.
Cetaphil SPF 50
Neutrogena Body Oil
Ingredients To Look For
Vitamin E, Shea Butter, Glycerin, and Vitamins E and A help lock in moisture and keep out the cold.
SPF 15+. Even though it’s cold outside, the sun can still bake your skin, drying it out.
Olive oil hydrates skin naturally and has tons of Vitamin E to help heal and protect your skin. Plus, most people already have it in their kitchen! Hands or lips so dry you can’t take it anymore? Pour a dime-sized amount of olive oil onto your hand and rub it on hands, lips, elbows, knees and feet for instant relief.
At the drugstore, look for moisturizers with lactic acid if you have very dry, itchy, scaly skin patches.
What You Can Do
- Stay Hydrated. Drink eight glasses of water a day and eat fruits and veggies that contain a lot of water like apples, oranges, cucumber and melon.
- Use a humidifier at night. Don’t forget to change the water daily and clean it out every week, or you’ll be breathing in mildew and dirt after a while!
- Wear clothing with soft, natural fibers like cotton and silk, which help dry skin breathe and heal.
- Take cooler, shorter showers. Your skin is coated with a protective natural barrier. Hot water washes away the protective coating on your skin, leaving it dry and exposed. Think about how wrinkly your fingers get after swimming for a long time – makes sense, doesn’t it?
- Apply moisturizer as soon as you get out of the bath or shower. Thicker moisturizers or oils like baby oil work best.
- If dry skin causes itching, wet a washcloth with cool water and place it on your skin.
- If these measures don't relieve your symptoms or if your symptoms worsen, see your doctor or consult a dermatologist.
Have Your Say
Does your skin get worse in winter or summer or is it the same year-round? What tips and tricks do you have to give your skin a healthy glow? Share your secrets here!