Winter Skincare Tips
Winter can be tough on skin, making it dry, itchy, red, scaly, or flaky. With a little TLC (tender loving care), you can baby your skin and survive whatever Mother Nature throws at you.
Ingredients To Look For
- Vitamin E, Shea Butter, Glycerin, and Vitamins E and A help lock in moisture and keep out the cold.
- SPF 15+. Even though it’s cold outside, the sun can still bake your skin, drying it out.
- Olive oil hydrates skin naturally and has tons of Vitamin E to help heal and protect your skin. Plus, most people already have it in their kitchen! Hands or lips so dry you can’t take it anymore? Pour a dime-sized amount of olive oil onto your hand and rub it on hands, lips, elbows, knees and feet for instant relief.
- At the drugstore, look for moisturizers with lactic acid if you have very dry, itchy, scaly skin patches.
What You Can Do
- Stay Hydrated. Drink eight glasses of water a day and eat fruits and veggies that contain a lot of water like apples, oranges, cucumber and melon.
- Use a humidifier at night. Don’t forget to change the water daily and clean it out every week, or you’ll be breathing in mildew and dirt after a while!
- Wear clothing with soft, natural fibers like cotton and silk, which help dry skin breathe and heal.
- Take cooler, shorter showers. Your skin is coated with a protective natural barrier. Hot water washes away the protective coating on your skin, leaving it dry and exposed. Think about how wrinkly your fingers get after swimming for a long time – makes sense, doesn’t it?
- Apply moisturizer as soon as you get out of the bath or shower. Thicker moisturizers or oils like baby oil work best.
- If dry skin causes itching, wet a washcloth with cool water and place it on your skin.
- If these measures don't relieve your symptoms or if your symptoms worsen, see your doctor or consult a dermatologist.
Have Your Say
Does your skin get worse in winter or summer or is it the same year-round? What tips and tricks do you have to give your skin a healthy glow? Share your secrets here!