Jake Short Q&A
You may recognise Jake Short from the hit sitcom A.N.T. Farm as the artistically-inclined Fletcher Quimby who is deeply inspired by the beauty of fellow student Chyna (China Anne McClain). This talented teen is a star on the rise after recently being nominated Best TV Actor for the Kids Choice Award, but he still had time to stop and chat with Kidzworld!
Jake was nominated for Best TV Actor in the Kids Choice Awards, but you'll have to tune in March 31st to see if he wins! Photo by Jeff Berlin
Unlike his character Fletcher Quimby, Jake's less of an artist and more of an athlete.
Jake and the cast of A.N.T. Farm
KW: How did you first get into acting?
- Jake: I first got into acting when I was about nine and a half. I fell in love with it cause my brother started it and he started going to class and I thought “whoa, I really want to do that, it looks really fun.” I looked up to my brother a lot at the time. I don’t really live with him anymore cause he’s 19, but anyway I was really interested in acting and I was super excited about it, so I started trying it and doing all these classes and they really liked me and I thought this is really cool so they sent me out here and that’s how I ended up here.
KW: You’ve been in a ton of ad campaigns, did you find it weird seeing yourself on screen the first time?
- Jake: Quite weird! I was a little bit sceptical, I critiqued myself a lot, I think everyone does that though a little bit. I would l think “oh I could have done this better, or done that different.” I still do that, even with A.N.T. Farm, a lot of people I know who are actors do the same.
KW: How would you describe your character on A.N.T. Farm? Do you think you are similar to them?
- Jake: I would say I find myself very different from my character, but we do have similar qualities. I mean he’s not athletic and I’m extremely athletic. But I really want to get into art, but I’m not very good at it, and Fletcher is extremely talented at art but I’m not good at it at all!
KW: You recently got nominated for a Kids Choice Award, what was that like?
- Jake: It’s really exciting, I’m super thrilled and all my friends and fans have been really happy for me, it’s a really great honor and really cool to have that opportunity. I got nominated with Tim Allen and [kwlink 26154]Ty Burrell[/kwlink] who are hilarious, so I’m excited.
KW: What is something most people don’t know about you?
- Jake: I would say I’m very into sports, a lot of people know that, but...I don't know, I’m at a loss for words!
KW: In A.N.T Farm your character takes a special interest in Chyna, are you and China Anne McClain friends off-set?
- Jake: We are, she’s very nice, we do hang out a lot.
KW: What has been your favorite storyline in the show so far?
- Jake: Last week I got to play like I was dead, I had to fake my death and my paintings were worth more and that was pretty fun.
KW: What is the funniest on-set moment filming?
- Jake: It was planned but in the first season I got pied in the face, and that was probably one of the most fun moments on set.
KW: What flavor pie was it?
- Jake: Shaving cream and graham cracker crust.
KW: You’re also a talented musician, do ever plan to pursue your interest in music over your acting career?
- Jake: I play guitar and I’m singing a little bit. I’m looking into it right now, I’m trying to see how I evolve in it, and I want to just explore the different realms of music.
KW: What kinds of roles would you like to play in the future?
- Jake: I would definitely like to do a lot of movies, I’ve always been an action guy and action movies, I’d like to do stunts. That’s sort of been my dream since I was kid.
Subject: This year it’s not, but overall it’s definitely been math or science
Movie: Star Wars, probably the 5th one
Have Your Say
What do you think of Jake on A.N.T. Farm? Let us know in the comments section below!