Jake Short Q&A
You may recognise Jake Short from the hit sitcom A.N.T. Farm as the artistically-inclined Fletcher Quimby who is deeply inspired by the beauty of fellow student Chyna (China Anne McClain). This talented teen is a star on the rise after recently being nominated Best TV Actor for the Kids Choice Award, but he still had time to stop and chat with Kidzworld!
KW: How did you first get into acting?
- Jake: I first got into acting when I was about nine and a half. I fell in love with it cause my brother started it and he started going to class and I thought “whoa, I really want to do that, it looks really fun.” I looked up to my brother a lot at the time. I don’t really live with him anymore cause he’s 19, but anyway I was really interested in acting and I was super excited about it, so I started trying it and doing all these classes and they really liked me and I thought this is really cool so they sent me out here and that’s how I ended up here.
KW: You’ve been in a ton of ad campaigns, did you find it weird seeing yourself on screen the first time?
- Jake: Quite weird! I was a little bit sceptical, I critiqued myself a lot, I think everyone does that though a little bit. I would l think “oh I could have done this better, or done that different.” I still do that, even with A.N.T. Farm, a lot of people I know who are actors do the same.
KW: How would you describe your character on A.N.T. Farm? Do you think you are similar to them?
- Jake: I would say I find myself very different from my character, but we do have similar qualities. I mean he’s not athletic and I’m extremely athletic. But I really want to get into art, but I’m not very good at it, and Fletcher is extremely talented at art but I’m not good at it at all!
KW: You recently got nominated for a Kids Choice Award, what was that like?
- Jake: It’s really exciting, I’m super thrilled and all my friends and fans have been really happy for me, it’s a really great honor and really cool to have that opportunity. I got nominated with Tim Allen and [kwlink 26154]Ty Burrell[/kwlink] who are hilarious, so I’m excited.
KW: What is something most people don’t know about you?
- Jake: I would say I’m very into sports, a lot of people know that, but...I don't know, I’m at a loss for words!
KW: In A.N.T Farm your character takes a special interest in Chyna, are you and China Anne McClain friends off-set?
- Jake: We are, she’s very nice, we do hang out a lot.
KW: What has been your favorite storyline in the show so far?
- Jake: Last week I got to play like I was dead, I had to fake my death and my paintings were worth more and that was pretty fun.
KW: What is the funniest on-set moment filming?
- Jake: It was planned but in the first season I got pied in the face, and that was probably one of the most fun moments on set.
KW: What flavor pie was it?
- Jake: Shaving cream and graham cracker crust.
KW: You’re also a talented musician, do ever plan to pursue your interest in music over your acting career?
- Jake: I play guitar and I’m singing a little bit. I’m looking into it right now, I’m trying to see how I evolve in it, and I want to just explore the different realms of music.
KW: What kinds of roles would you like to play in the future?
- Jake: I would definitely like to do a lot of movies, I’ve always been an action guy and action movies, I’d like to do stunts. That’s sort of been my dream since I was kid.
Subject: This year it’s not, but overall it’s definitely been math or science
Movie: Star Wars, probably the 5th one
Have Your Say
What do you think of Jake on A.N.T. Farm? Let us know in the comments section below!