Conor Maynard Q&A
Teen rapper Conor Maynard is being hailed as the next big British sensation. His undeniably catchy hit song “Can’t Say No” has already won him fans all across the UK, and now Pharrell Williams has taken the 19-year-old break-out star under his wing. Find out more in his Kidzworld Q&A!
KW: How old are you and where are you from?
- Conor: 19, Brighton (South Coast UK)
KW: What first made you interested in making music?
- Conor: When I was growing up my parents listened to all different artists, the main ones being Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder, apparently I used to sit there and jiggle along and as I grew up I would always ask for music to be turned on, so from a very young age I was always extremely interested in music. When I was about 15/16 people learned I could sing, and always wanted to hear me at school, so I started recording covers and making music so I could send them out to friends!
KW: How would you describe your sound?
- Conor: Very R&B influenced, almost like an urban pop… a surprise compared to what a lot of people would expect after seeing me!
KW: What is your song "Can’t Say No" about? What inspired you to write it?
- Conor: I was in the studio with the Invisible Men (Producers) and Sophie Stern (Writer) when I first heard the backing track, and I instantly loved it, and knew I wanted to write a crazy party track over it! The only idea I had in my head at first was the line "Houston, I think we got a problem!!" as I wanted that to be the part that everyone knows and everyone sings a long to. After that we wrote the "girls girls girls" chorus and tied it all together. The song was definitely meant to be taken more tongue-in-cheek, not taken too seriously, it was just a fun idea that would get people dancing and singing along! I wasn't trying to say that no matter where I go girls just jump on me… I wish that was the case. hahaa.
KW: You're currently working with Pharrell and Ne-Yo on your first album, how did they find out about you and what was it like working with them?
- Conor: It was crazy working with them on my first album. Obviously it was a dream of mine to work with such prominent artists/producers in the music industry but I thought that would happen on perhaps the 2nd/3rd album… not before I’ve even released a first single! They both found out about me through my YouTube covers, and watched my progress before they reached out… both initially trying to sign me! Which was even MORE crazy!! But yeh working with them was just incredible as I saw creativity on the next level, they are amazing at what they do, and I think it will be a while before I meet anyone else that compares.
KW: What is something most people don't know about you?
- Conor: When I was 8 I wanted to change my name to Leo because I loved lions so much… luckily my mum just laughed at me.
KW: You have some die-hard fans called "Mayniacs" what’s the best thing a fan has ever said to you?
- Conor: Haha yes my fans definitely fit that name, they have done some crazy things in the past (e.g. chasing me back to a hotel.) Haha however I’ve had some amazing things said to me by fans, a fan once told me they printed out loads of "leaflets" with all information about me and went round their town handing them out to anyone they saw, I thought that was really cool!
KW: Who are some artists you look up to?
- Conor: I definitely listened to a lot of R&B growing up, with artists such as Usher, Mario, Ne-Yo, Justin Timberlake, Brandy, although right now all I really listen to is Drake, I think he's extremely talented as a writer as well as an artist.
KW: What can fans expect from this upcoming album?
- Conor: A surprise!!
KW: What's the best piece of advice you've received since starting out in the music industry?
- Conor: Always try and separate yourself from everything else that’s going on, don't try and follow any trend or feel you have to release music that sounds like everything else, just do you. It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation.
Sport: Football (soccer)
Band: Kings of Leon
Movie: Green Mile
Check out Conor's hit song "Can't Say No" below!
Have Your Say
Do you like “Can’t Say No”? Let us know in the comments section below!