Jake Miller Q&A
Teen rapper Jake Miller started out posting homemade videos of his songs on YouTube and quickly caught the eye of fans online, label reps and eventually quickly signed on with Jason Derulo’s manager. Now the hip hop sensation is performing alongside big ticket names like Cee Lo Green and Flo Rida! Find out more in his Kidzworld Q&A
Kidzworld: How old are you and where are you from?
- Jake Miller: I’m 19, I was born in Washington, DC, but I’ve lived in Fort Lauderdale, Florida basically all my life.
KW: When did you first become interested in rapping?
- Jake: I’ve always had a strong cast for music, all different types, but in ninth grade I started putting videos on YouTube and I got really good reactions from my friends and people at my school. Back then it was kind of a hobby but I kept going with it and got better and better reactions, that’s kind of how I started.
KW: You write your own music and lyrics, what usually inspires you?
- Jake: Every song is inspired by something else like friends, family and people who inspire me. Like Drake, he is my favorite, he’s my role model, I’m always listening to him on repeat.
KW: Any other artist you look up to?
- Jake: I think what Justin Timberlake did, how he kind of was in the music industry and then in the movie industry, I’d like to do exactly what he did, he’s the whole package and I really want to be like that.
KW: What was it like making the jump from online to making rap your career?
- Jake: I was at a university campus for orientation and I got a call from a label because they had seen one of my videos and right away they told me to come up to New York to do a showcase for them and I had never experienced anything like that before. I put off college for a year, I never ended up signing that deal but I thought maybe if they were interested I had something, so after that I kind of stayed home for a year I worked my butt off for a year straight and got a manager and ever since I have been taking off to a whole new level.
KW: Now that you’re in the industry do you get starstruck?
- Jake: Oh yeah! I definitely feel that, I’ve met so many people over this last year that are my childhood musical heroes and it’s always such an honour to perform with them abnd it’s really cool to be one step closer to their level.
KW: What is the best piece of advice you’ve receioved since starting out
- Jake: When I was backstage at one of my shows and I was talking to Asher Roth and he told that his mom still gooes on his YouTube account every day and deletes all the bad comments and he was just telling how to not let those comments get to me and to stay humble and not let all the hatred get to me. That’s probably the best piece of advice I’ve gotten.
KW: What do you like most about being on stage?
- Jake: When I’m on stage It’s a completely different feeling, I feel like a different person almost like there’s nothing I can’t do, it’s the best feeling in the world, especially when its a good crowd.
KW: What is “What I Wouldn’t Give” all about?
- Jake: It’s about every kid’s desire to succeed, but specifically my desire to make it in the industry, it’s about me striving for the life I always wanted.
KW: What is something most people don’t know about you?
- Jake: I’m a very good artist, I love drawing and painting, I would actually consider drawing my number one skill, it’s not my favorite thing to do but I love drawing when I’m bored. Before my career got serious I considered majoring in architecture.
KW: Who would you like to work with most in the future
- Jake: Definitely Drake. And I’m dying to be on The Ellen DeGeneres Show!
Book: The Harry Potter series
Movie: Step Brothers
Food: Chipotle Burrito
Check out “What I Wouldn’t Give” below!
Have Your Say
What do you think of Jake Miller? Let us know in the comments section below!