Amanda Leighton Q&A
Amanda Leighton stars on ABC’s teen drama Make It or Break It as the cheerful and chirpy Wendy Capshaw, a devious top gymnast plotting against other contenders at The Rocky Mountain Gymnastic Center. Find out more about Amanda in her Kidzworld Q&A!
KW: How old are you and where are you from?
- Amanda: I am 19 years old and from Fresno California.
KW: When did you first start acting?
- Amanda: I started acting locally in Fresno at the age of 10. When I was 12, I got my first agent and started auditioning and taking classes in Los Angeles.
KW: What was it like getting the role on Make It or Break It?
- Amanda: It was a great surprise! At the time, I was testing for another ABC Family pilot. The network decided to go younger. So I was a bit bummed but, by the end of the following week I was offered the part of ‘Wendy’ on Make It or Break It. I was so excited, because ‘Wendy’ was unlike any character I had played before. It was a thrill to see how ‘Wendy’ developed over the season and her complexity beneath the surface. When I auditioned, I had no idea she would end up being the villain. It was the best of both worlds to be able to play both the peppy sweet girl and the crazy competitive antagonist!
KW: You trained in dance when you were younger, do you still dance?
- Amanda: Yes, I danced for 11 years. I took a break to focus on my acting, because I was in competition dance and it required a lot of training each week. The show has actually inspired me to go back and start taking classes again. Make It or Break It reminded me of how much I missed it!
KW: How do you relate to your character on the show?
- Amanda: My Mom said that I used to fast talk like ‘Wendy’ when I was younger.
KW: What would you like to see happen to her in the future?
- Amanda: I would have liked to have seen more of her back story. I would have also liked to see some redemption or closure for the character.
KW: What has been the most fun episode to shoot so far and why?
- Amanda: The episode “Dream On.” That is the episode where I got to work with the fabulous actress Kathy Najimi. I remembered watching her in one of my favorite movies as a kid, HOCUS POCUS. It was also the scene that revealed my character’s major turning point. The scene was so much fun to shoot, I loved it!
KW: Which actors do you look up to?
- Amanda: Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, Rachael McAdams, Gary Oldman, Tom Hanks, Clint Eastwood, Zooey Deschanel, Emma Stone, Saoirse Ronan, Colin Firth, Robert Downey Jr. … Too Many!
KW: What is something most people don’t know about you?
- Amanda: Initially when people meet me, they think I’m sweet, innocent, and 14! When they start talking to me, they notice I have a bit of an edge and people tell me that I have a old soul.
KW: What is the best advice you’ve received since starting out in the industry?
- Amanda: “You have to love it enough be able to do it for free.”
KW: What are you working on now?
- Amanda: I am currently working on perfecting my craft to be a better actress, doing a lot of volunteer work with kids, and enjoying my French bulldog Watson!
- Activity: Video games, Exercise, Reading, and Video Editing!
- Subject: English Literature and Science
- Food: Sushi
- Animal: My French bulldog, Watson.
Have Your Say
Do you watch Make It or Break It? What do you think of Amanda? Let us know in the comments section below!