Kw-logo-smaller

Book Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles #2)

Apr 06, 2013

In Scarlet, Marissa Meyer's sequel to the bestselling teen novel Cinder, we follow a modern day Little Red Riding Hood as she attempts to rescue her grandmother. Kidzworld has the book review.

Most Wanted

This sequel follows two storylines at once. While this book is primarily about a new character - Scarlet - we also return to Cinder's story, as she escapes from prison with the help of a cocky cadet who calls himself Captain. Their escape puts Cinder on the world's most wanted list. Prince Kai is doing everything he can to apprehend her, while the threat of the Lunar Queen's war looms over the commonwealth.

Scarlet's Grandmother

Meanwhile in France, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. As the weeks pass she fears the worst, but even her worst fears couldn't prepare her for the truth. Her grandmother isn't the simple, laid back farmer that Scarlet always thought. In fact, she's wrapped up in a conspiracy that Scarlet couldn't even imagine, one pertaining to the lost princess. 

Unlikely Alliance

Scarlet will do anything she can to discover her grandmother's whereabouts, even team up with a sketchy street fighter named Wolf. As they work together, Scarlet finds herself drawn to Wolf romantically, but the question remains: can she truly trust him?

The Bottom Line

There's something special about an author who can put a unique twist on a dystopian novel, especially since the genre is expanding so quickly. In fact, it's already earning it's own section in some book stores. Marissa Meyer combined cyborgs and androids with a futuristic fairy tale plot. Her greatest feat was that her novels - both Cinder and Scarlet - are neither cheesy nor overdone. Scarlet is an excellent follow up to Cinder and we highly recommend it!

Have You Say

Have you read Cinder? Will you read Scarlet? Tell us in our comment section below!

 

>
>

readers voted!

Comments

Aarjan

Aarjan wrote:

This article's forcing me not to read this...
commented: Tue May 21, 2013

BookwormJ3nny

BookwormJ3nny wrote:

I've read Cinder and I'm hoping this will be just as good :)
commented: Mon May 20, 2013

ksyushka

ksyushka wrote:

I love this book
commented: Sat Apr 27, 2013

there are 4 more comments

Please login or register to add comments

share with your friends


Twitter Facebook Myspace Digg


like this article?
Sign up now to get more just like!

latest videos

Poll-bookstofilm

Which middle grade novels should be made into movies?

  • The Emerald Altas (Books of Beginning)
  • The Edge Chronicles
  • Magyk (Septimus Heap)
  • The 39 Clues

related stories

Micro_obsidian-micro
Jennifer L. Armentrout delivers an addicting, romantically charged novel that unites a human and ...
Micro_beautifulcreatures-micro
When the strange but intriguing Lena Duchannes arrives in Gatlin, South Carolina, Ethan’s entire ...
Micro_topteenbooksfor2012-micro
There's nothing better than curling up by the fire with a good book. If you're looking for recomm...
Micro_cinder-micro
Debut author Marissa Meyer retells the classic story of Cinderella in a modern dystopian love sto...

Random in the forums

Teh_Skittlez
Teh_Skittlez posted in Debating:
"Taidoku" wrote:it's wrong because society made it wrong how authoritarian  
reply 11 minutes
Boysrock50
Boysrock50 posted in General:
the junior mods and other debaters/regular forum posters
reply 11 minutes
Teh_Skittlez
Teh_Skittlez posted in Debating:
"kingofdisaster_" wrote:I think they do. I feel like if I say they don't, they'll attack me. Well. They haven't attacked me yet.  
reply 12 minutes
Teh_Skittlez
Teh_Skittlez posted in Debating:
"AlphaT" wrote: "Teh_Skittlez" wrote: "AlphaT" wrote: "Teh_Skittlez" wrote: Ghosts require more explanation than they provide answers Elaborate? Are you saying that they require more effort than they can give back, or that they hold more mystery than knowledge? There's some phenomena that goes unexplained. But that's the important part, we don't have an explanation. By using ghosts as a solution, we are making unexplained assumptions, you're just displacing your lack of explanation onto the ghost, rather than the event itself. And that's the other part, I haven't heard any physics based woo-free explanation for a disembodied intelligence that lacks a physical body but manages to interact with the physical world. So, for me it's basic Occam's razor. The more complicated answer could be true, but until we have evidence to support the assumptions made it's best to go with the simpler hypotheses that operate within the framework we already have.      First off, I do not believe in ghosts. But, why does this entity have to be intelligent? Why can't be some type of unknown energetic remnant of a past life that's being harbored in a given location? Also, how is nothing simpler than a hypothesis? Admitting to not having an explanation is not a bad thing, especially when you don't have one. There's nothing wrong with saying you haven't been convinced of any particular hypothesis so far, and therefore it remains unexplained to you. You aren't saying it was nothing, you're saying you don't know what it was.  How would we measure this remnant energy of a past life? How many joules should we expect to see? The reason we presume cognizance is because people asserting hypotheses about ghosts often assume that these spirits interact with the world and possess some understanding of cause and effect. 
reply 13 minutes
ChickenGoPowPow
Both. :3
reply 15 minutes

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

1515_gl_kidzworld_100x100_jpg_fz

Intriguing planets, weird and wonderful characters; challenge friends and find a...

157262_(2)

When you go back to Candyland, you’ll wonder why you ever left in the first plac...

100x100_ra_logo_girl

Uncle George has left you his farm, but unfortunately it’s in pretty bad shape. ...

_thumb_100x100

Shoot blobs with different properies to merge yellow blobs. Your blobs can be re...