2013 Kentucky Derby
GIDDY-UP!!! The Kentucky Derby is going down May 3rd - 4th 2013 as the fastest 2 minutes in sports. So what is so fast about the Kentucky Derby? Well unless they start training cheetahs to race, this is the fastest race amongst all living animals.
The Kentucky Derby is mostly watched people who gamble money on who they think will win the race. However, a lot of other people watch the race for the beauty of horse racing. Here are some fun facts about the Kentucky Derby:
- The first Kentucky Derby was held on May 17, 1875, and was won by Aristides.
- The Kentucky Derby is the longest continuous sporting event in the United States
- In 1892, Alonzo “Lonnie” Clayton became the youngest jockey to win the Kentucky Derby at age 15.
- The Kentucky Derby is part of a triple crown with the Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes.
- The tradition of playing the song “My Old Kentucky Home” before the Kentucky Derby began in 1924.
- Since Affirmed became the 11th and latest horse to win the Triple Crown in 1978
- 1973 Kentucky Derby and Triple Crown winner Secretariat still hold the Derby record for fastest time at one minute, 59 and two-fifths seconds. Disney would later make the movie Secretariat.
- The most well-known Kentucky Derby tradition is to drape the blanket of roses over the winner – began in 1896.
2013 Top Runners
The Kentucky Derby is scheduled to happen on the first weekend in May every year at the Chruchill Downs track in Louisville Kentucky. The race is 1 1/4 miles long and the winner will get 2 million dollars. My favourite part of the race is the announcer who talks super fast to describe the race. Here is a list of some of the horses names for the big race:
- Will Take Charge
- Narmandy Invasion
- Govenor Charlie
There is some concern that the horses at the Kentucky Derby are given steroids to help them win the races. It has been proven to happen in the past, so what can we do to make sure it doesn't happen again? Well, if you are concerned, you can do your own investigative work by contacting any animal rights organizations who are involved. Animal Freedom for kids is a great organization to start online... check it out here!
Have your say...
What do you think of the Kentucky Derby? Let us know in the comments below...