EXCLUSIVE! China Anne McClain Talks Grown Ups 2
By: Lynn Barker
Talented actress/singer China Anne McClain will be 15 in August. You might have seen her first on TV’s “House of Payne” and now starring as Chyna Parks on TV’s “A.N.T. Farm”. China was very jazzed to work again with her besties from the original Grown Ups movie and meet new friends on set.
The actress let us know that she’ll be in Canada filming a new TV movie in August on her birthday! First, let’s talk Grown Ups 2.
Kidzworld: The first thing some teens want to know is did you have any scenes with Taylor Lautner or did you meet him on set? Were you Team Jacob or Team Edward or neither?
- China: I was in the middle of shooting “ANT Farm” when I started filming Grown Ups 2 so I could only be there for a little while each time I went, and of course, when I got there Taylor had already left! I was so bummed and we also didn't have any scenes together! It's okay. Hopefully I’ll meet him at the premiere. Definitely Team Jacob!
Kidzworld: What age was your character Charlotte in the last film and how old is she now? How easy was it to get back into character again for this one?
- China: Charlotte was about 12 in the first Grown Ups but in Grown Ups 2 she is about 15! It wasn't super hard to channel Charlotte because we are a lot alike.
Kidzworld: How does Charlotte react to moving to the suburbs?
- China: She is okay with moving to the suburbs because now she lives closer to her friends from the first Grown Ups!
Kidzworld: How are you like Charlotte and how are you different?
- China: We definitely have different styles, but both of us are very chill and have VERY protective Dads!
Kidzworld: Tell me something funny that happened on set or between scenes (line flubs, silly accidents, stuff like that).
- China: A lot of actors mess up their lines, but the actors in Grown Ups just ad-lib when they forget theirs! Sometimes, the things they ad-lib are funnier than the lines they were originally supposed to say!
Kidzworld: Does Charlotte have a boyfriend in the film or is she crushin’ on anybody and how does that go for her?
- China: I'll just say that she is definitely crushing on an interesting guy... and her dad doesn't approve!
Kidzworld: How was working with the adult guys (Adam Sandler, David Spade, Chris, Rock, Kevin James?) Do they treat you like an equal now that you are a bit older?
- China: It is so much fun working with the guys! They honestly treated me like an equal on the first Grown Ups. They were so nice to all of the kids and acted like we were on their level. They really made it an enjoyable experience for me!
Kidzworld: Where did you shoot and did the younger cast go out to eat or do anything else fun off-set together?
- China: We shot both movies in Boston. The younger cast did EVERYTHING together! We really did become like siblings and I was so sad when the movie wrapped because I was going to miss them so much!
Kidzworld: Are there any clothing designers you are super into? How would you describe your personal style?
- China: I'm not really into name brands, but I shop everywhere! My style is very modest. I want to be an example for girls when it comes to clothes.
Kidzworld: You’ll be 15 in August. Any birthday plans yet?
- China: I am actually going to be in Canada for my birthday, working on a new made for TV movie! So, I have to do something cool and interesting since I won't be in LA!
Kidzworld: What is up with “A.N.T. Farm”? Anything exciting we haven’t seen yet?
- China: Season 3 is COMPLETELY different than the other seasons we have done in the past. The episodes are bigger and there is definitely more romance in this season...
China as Chyna in A.N.T. Farm
Kidzworld: What about your music? Any new releases coming out or any performances planned?
- China: My sisters have been working on our album for a while because we want it to be perfect for you guys! We should put out our first single very soon but OUR music is not like anything you have ever heard from us before.
Kidzworld: Why will tweens and teens especially enjoy seeing Grown Ups 2?
- China: Teens and tweens will definitely enjoy seeing the comedy between the four guys and they will also enjoy seeing all of the (surprise) stars that cameo in the movie!
See Grown Ups 2 in theaters starting July 12th
The Poster with China at bottom