DIY: Cut Your Own Bangs
Bangs can be a great look on everyone, but the upkeep can be annoying, especially if you can't see for all the hair in your eyes. Find out how to cut or trim your own bangs!
What You'll Need
At-home hair cuts go awry all the time because people don't take the time they need or get the equipment they need to do it right, but luckily when you're trimming your bangs you just need a few simple things.
- A good pair of scissors - hair scissors if you have them, but if you don't just make sure you choose a sharp pair (no cuticle scissors or saftey scissors please!)
- A Comb
- Time - trust us, you don't want to rush this, you have to wear your hair every day so it's worth some time to get it right
- A Mirror - this should be obvious!
- Good Light - you don't want to do this in the dark, get as much natural light as possible (that's a great beauty tip for anything, really)
- A friend or parent - they'll (hopefully) stop you if you're about to do something crazy!
Follow these steps to trim or create a simple fringe:
- Style your hair the way you normally would
- Figure out how far back you want your bangs to go, and bring that section forward. If you already have bangs, make sure you collect all of it and comb it forward
- Twist all the hair you want to cut together in the center of your face, hold it at the end with your non-scissor cutting hand about an inch or so from the bottom
- Angle scissors up and cut until it is all roughly the same length
- Repeat this until it is the length you want, inching upwards so that you never cut too much at once (bangs are tricky, and its better to have it long and do this over again than go too short!)
- Voila! Forget visiting your stylist, you've trimmed your own bangs!
Hot Tip!: Do not wet your hair! Even in professional salons they often cut bangs dry just make sure the length is right, wet hair can make it seem longer, you want to make sure your fringe is exactly where you want it and not an inch over or below.
Have Your Say
Would you ever get bangs? Let us know!