Emily Alyn Lind Q&A
Emily Alyn Lind stars as Jamie Kelly in the Hallmark Channel Original movie Dear Dumb Diary, based on Jim Benton's hit book series. Find out more in Emily's Kidzworld Q&A!
Emily plays Jamie Kelly - a girl who dreams up dance numbers for all of life's problems!
Courtesy of Fred Hayes
Kidzworld: How old are you and where are you from?
- Emily: I am 11 years - I was born in Los Angeles, California....but grew up in Los Angeles AND Wilmington, North Carolina. My mom was working on a series, so we had two houses - one while she was working, and one for when she was on hiatus.
Kidzworld: You're starring in the Hallmark film Dear Dumb Diary, can you tell us a little bit about the story?
- Emily: Dear Dumb Diary is about a middle schooler named Jamie Kelly who is trying to figure out who she is...she imagines musical dance numbers in her head while she deals with her best friend, her nemesis, and her big crush - in the end, she discovers what true beauty really is.
Kidzworld: Can you describe your character in the movie? Are there similarities between you and Jamie Kelly?
- Emily: Jamie and I are so similar - We have our own style and don't really care what others think about it...but at the same time, we both feel like it's nice to fit in. We both have a loving family, but mine isn't quite as crazy. But mostly, I'd like to think that I'm like Jamie in that I try to do the right thing, even if it's not the easiest thing. I really fell in love with this character while playing her.
Kidzworld: What was your fave scene to film on Dear Dumb Diary?
- Emily: My favorite scene to film was the musical number "Just a Number"...The dancers on the movie were the nicest people ever so anytime they were around we were having fun. They were so talented and such hard workers. But that day, we were shooting outside on a beautiful sunny day in a park...I was wearing my favorite pink vintage dress, my sister was in the number...and I was singing about a bunch of cute guys....Perfect Day!
Jamie Kelly and her friend lounging around with the 8 cutest boys in their school
Courtesy of Fred Hayes
Kidzworld: This is your second Hallmark movie, any plans on making another one with them? Which film did you enjoy making more?
- Emily: Every movie I've done has been so different and they are difficult to compare. November Christmas was so special because we were filming in Halifax where I met some of my relatives who I had never met - my grandparents were visiting - and it was the prettiest location ever. AND, I was playing a girl who was very sick and that's when I got involved with Make-A-Wish.So each movie has a place in my heart for different reasons. I like to work because each job brings such a different experience.
Kidzworld: How did you first become interested in acting?
- Emily: My mom is an actress and she was doing a show called One Tree Hill in North Carolina.My sister guested on the show when I was 3, and an agent noticed her and wanted to meet her.When my mom took her to the meeting, she took me too - and when the agent met us, she asked if she could sign me too.AND, I started working right away!
Kidzworld: You've appeared in quite a few TV shows, from Eastwick toRevenge,which show did you have the best time filming and why?
- Emily: I'm really bad at picking favorite jobs. I loved working on Hawaii Five-O because Hawaii is one of my favorite places in the world, and the people were amazing. But if I had to choose a TV show, Revenge has got to be my favorite. I love how edgy they've made my character - that I'm not just playing a sweet little girl. And, it's so great that my little sister, Alyvia, plays me when I'm younger.
Kidzworld: What is something most people might not know about you?
- Emily: I love to be alone and write!There's nothing better than being in my own little world and writing down my feelings, or making them up. That's another reason I'm like Jamie - we need our private time to piece it all together.
Emily Alyn Lind and Laura Bell Bundy take a break from filming DDD
Courtesy of Fred Hayes
Kidzworld: Which actors do you look up to and who would you like to work with in the future?
- Emily: I know everyone says this, but Meryl Streep is the best ever - I want to play her daughter, or granddaughter, or student, or maid or whatever it takes! I recently met Annette Benning at a script reading and now my goal is to work with her too - I watch movies all the time with my family - and my wish list of actors is so long and growing every day. I've already been lucky to work with such amazing people. And I learn so much from watching other actors work. I really want to work with Jerry Zucker, our producer on DDD. He is the best comedy director of all time, and I just love him as a person. He promised me that we will find a project we can do together...that would be a dream!
Kidzworld: Are you filming anything right now that we can know about?
- Emily: I have a Warner Brothers movie coming out called Hidden - I play a girl who is trapped underground with her Mom and Dad - it's pretty intense - the opposite of DDD! But that's why I love acting! Finding completely different projects and becoming completely different people!
The World Premiere of Dear Dumb Diary is set to air September 6th at 8 PM ET/PT on the Hallmark Channel. Check out the trailer below!
Have Your Say
Will you watch Dear Dumb Diary? Let us know in the comments section below!