Staying in Shape with Yoga
Yoga isn't just another fitness craze like Tae Bo. Read on to find out about the benefits of the different types of yoga, like hatha, ashtanga and bikrams. There are classes specifically for teens out there.
How to Start Your Own Yoga Class
- First, get a group of friends together who are interested in taking a yoga class.
- Next, approach a gym teacher and find out if it's possible for you to start a yoga class during the lunch hour or after school.
- If your school approves, start calling around to local studios to see if any instructors would be willing to come into your school for a class. Often studios will offer group or school rates so find out how much everyone will have to pay to take the class.
- Once everything is in place, have a great time getting fit and staying healthy with your pals!
What You Need To Know Before Heading Off To Class
- Make sure you're wearing proper attire. You'll want something that you feel comfortable in but won't have to worry about tripping over long pant legs or a shirt that keeps flying over your head when you're in upside-down poses.
- Don't eat a heavy meal before heading to your yoga class and remember to drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after class.
- Like all sports, you should start out easy with some light stretching. Don't jump into super-strenuous poses right away because you're likely to pull a muscle or hurt yourself some other way.
- Click here to find out what you need before heading to your yoga class and how you can start a yoga class of your own!