Quiz the Coach - I Can't Do A Full Liberty
Quiz the coach helps teen and tweens with sports and fitness related issues and problems like obesity or healthy eating habits. The coach also gives great tips and advice on Cheerleading, skateboard tricks and P.E. dilemnas. - Page 1
So ya dig sports but need some help with your game? Don't understand some of the rules of football, basketball or hockey? Got a gripe about P.E. class, skateboarders, cheerleading, coaches, or anything? Why not ?
I am having trouble getting a Full Liberty in cheerleading. Is it my fault or the base's fault that I can't stay up?
- Keep your body tight and straight
- Look for a spot at eye level
- Don't lean on one hip or the other. This is a common reason for Full Liberties turning into embarassing flops
- Keep your bent leg's instep pressed tight to the side of your supporting leg's knee. Make sure your toes on your bent leg stay pointed.
However, even if you do everything right, the success of the Liberty also depends on the members of the base
- Support the flyer
- Keep your eyes on the flyer at all times. This isn't the time to start scoping out the starting quarterback
- The back base should have their hands as high as they can reach on the flyer's supporting leg. The back base should be controlling
- Be sure you are helping the stunt and not getting in the way of the flyer or the other bases (as the saying goes, "too many cheerleaders spoils the stunt.")
Good luck with your Full Liberty and always make sure you have an adult around to supervise and spot the stunt. Hundreds of cheerleaders get injured each year because they haven't been trained properly or aren't being spotted.
Do you need tips or advice on sports, fitness or health? to the Kidzworld Coach. Keep in mind peeps, the Kidzworld Coach isn't a doctor or a professional athlete or anything like that. He's just a dude who digs sports, plays 'em and knows a lot about 'em. You should always talk to your 'rents, a doctor or your school gym teacher before starting a new sport or a new exercise.