Quiz the Coach - I Play Like Allen Iverson
Quiz the coach helps teens and tweens with sports and fitness related issues and problems like obesity, healthy eating questions, skateboard tricks and P.E. dilemnas. - Page 7
So ya dig sports but need some help with your game? Don't understand some of the rules of football, basketball or hockey? Got a gripe about P.E. class, skateboarders, cheerleading, coaches, or anything? Why not Quiz the Coach?
My favorite player is Allen Iverson, and I love basketball and I play it all the time. Now my ankle is hurt and I can only play again in six weeks. When I play again, I wanna make sure that I'm as fast as before, and can jump as high as before. People on my team, and my trainer, say I could become as fast as [KWLINK 2843[b]Allen Iverson if I do not get hurt. I know that I'm very fast because I don't know anybody who can mess with me. But after the accident on the court, one of my teammates said, "Man, I hope he will not lose his quickness." So, I asked the doctor and he said that I have to do sprinting drills when I'm healthy. He said Allen Iverson does this, too. I asked my coach and he said he doesn't know what drills Allen Iverson does. Can you tell me if Allen Iverson does some sprinting and jumping drills and can you send them to me?
Practicing some of the sprinting and jumping drills which Iverson and other NBA players practice is a great way to improve - no matter how quick you are (or aren't). Here's a drill which Allen Iverson and other players still practice as a way to improve their quickness and jumping ability.
- Sprinting Drill Start in a crouching position at one end of the gym
- Return to a crouching position and sprint three quarters of the way down the court
- Return to a crouch crouching position and sprint to the center of the gym
- Return to a crouch crouching position and sprint to the top of the key, reach down and touch the free throw line
- Practice this drill in reps of three. You'll notice an improvement in your fitness, your foot speed and even your jumping ability. You may not develop the explosive crossover of Allen Iverson but you'll definitely become a better player.
Do you need tips or advice on sports, fitness or health? to the Kidzworld Coach. Keep in mind peeps, the Kidzworld Coach isn't a doctor or a professional athlete or anything like that. He's just a dude who digs sports, plays 'em and knows a lot about 'em. You should always talk to your 'rents, a doctor or your school gym teacher before starting a new sport or a new exercise.