Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen :: Biography
Birthdate: June 13, 1986
Birthplace: Sherman Oaks, CA
Hollywood's most famous twins are growing up. Kidzworld checks in on Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen.
Growing up in California, it's not that big a surprise that twins Mary-Kate and Ashley got into show business, but they landed the role of Michelle Tanner before they were even old enough to realize what was going on. At the audition, they were the only twins that didn't cry, and that was enough for the people at Full House. After an eight year run as one of the most popular shows on TV, Mary-Kate and Ashley were two of Hollywood's most loved stars.
Shortly after Full House finished, the Olsen Twins started a production company, Dualstar Entertainment, and began marketing and merchandising their image. They were very successful in their new business ventures as they attached their name to clothing, books, accessories, fragrances, and straight to DVD movies The Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley. Soon they were also working on more TV shows, filming a season each of Two of a Kind and So Little Time. In 2004, the Twins moved to the big screen with New York Minute. Since then the Olsen's have taken some time off of acting to attend college at NYU, but recently Mary-Kate guest starred in Weeds and appears in 2008 film The Wackness. Ashley will appear in The Informers with Billy Bob Thornton later this year.
Now known for much more than their acting careers, Mary-Kate and Ashley have become fashion icons and are constantly featured in celebrity gossip magazines. Mary-Kate has had issues with eating disorders in the past, and had a conflict with Paris Hilton over former boyfriend Stavros Niarchos. Mary-Kate is also seen as one of the leaders of the Boho-chic look, often wearing baggy sweaters, oversized sunglasses, and mixing high-end and low-end items. They've even launched their own couture fashion line called The Row, and released a Home Essentials collection of furniture. There definitely isn't much that these girls can't do, or haven't done.
Did U Know?
- The Olsen Twins have been criticized by PETA for using fur in their fashion line.
- Mary-Kate and Ashley have an older brother, Trent, a younger sister, Elizabeth and two half siblings, Taylor and Jake.
- In 2006 Ashley filed a lawsuit against the National Enquirer for writing a story about her use of drugs.
- In 2007 Forbes ranked the girls as the 11th richest women in entertainment, worth over $100 million.
- In 2008 Mary-Kate was caught up in the drama surrounding Heath Ledger's death when she was phoned by the masseuse who found Heath's body.
Mary-Kate Olsen Says...
"I love [Ashley]. She's my best friend."
Ashley Olsen Says...
"We get along really well, but TV and film aren't reality. We're best friends, but we do have our fights!"
- Get The Look:: Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Home Essentials Review
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Accessories Review
- More Biographies of Your Fave Celebs!