-
x

Meet New Friends!

Recommended friends are based on your interests. Make sure they are up to date.

Friends ff8c072dd79a91c1300f032d674241a8d64367100ffb1f25fa3f9bec4a05319f
Kidzworld Logo

The People of Sparks Book Review

The People of Sparks Book Review - Reviewed by Kidzworld on Dec 27, 2006
( Rating: 4 Star Rating)

Kidzworld reviews Jeanne DuPraus book, The People of Sparks. Its the sequel to The City of Ember!

Title: The People of Sparks
Author: Jeanne DuPrau
Ages: 9+
Rating: 4


When the Emberites emerge from their underground city into the outside world, they settle into their new - and temporary - home in the city of Sparks. But will they overstay their welcome? Will everyone learn to get along, even though they're from different worlds?


A Whole New World

With their city in ruins, Lina Mayfleet and Doon Harrow lead their people up and out into the world, where things like clouds, trees, wind and fire exist! The Emberites are amazed with the new world, but don't know how to survive! They're relieved when they stumble across the town of Sparks, whose people offer to help. They open up their homes, feed them and teach them basic skills like farming and building houses - but only for six months. After that, the Emberites will have to leave and make a new town of their own.


Can't We All Just Get Along?

With almost 800 mouths to feed, the food supply in Sparks starts to dwindle and both sides have less and less to eat. As resentment grows, arguments break out and fists are thrown, it's up to Lina and Doon to figure out what to do before they go to war!


The Bottom Line

It's pretty hard to believe that there are people living underground - or is it? The People of Sparks gives you an interesting look into what it's like to live down under and teaches you a valuable lesson about accepting people who are different from you. Make sure you read it this summer, as well as the prequel, The City of Ember!


Related Stories:

0 Comments

Related Stories

The underground city of Ember is facing blackouts. Lina and Doon must find the way out of Ember b...
With winter fast approaching, Lina and Doon wonder whether leaving their underground city of Embe...
The underground city of Ember is facing a blackout. Can two brave kids find the escape route befo...
F1153420280078

Would You Like to Live Underground?

  • Yeah, it'd be cool to live down there.
  • Only when I feel like hiding from the world.
  • No, I like to see the sky and smell the fresh air.
  • No way - are you nuts?

General In The Forums

jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Please stay on topic, if you have any more concerns you can comment either myself or kirsten. 
reply about 2 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
"AlphaT" wrote: "jordand08" wrote: "AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? Your very first sentence. Yes its suppose  to be saracastic, but not everything has to be answered with as a joke, because some people take offense to it.
reply about 2 hours
AlphaT
AlphaT posted in Say Anything:
"jordand08" wrote:"AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? 
reply about 2 hours
Kirsteeeeen
thanks for posting this Kristen. I think that it is a tough subject to talk about with other people and honestly I think it's good to talk about it in a moderate amount. Now that more pepole are being diagnosed with learning differences or some sort of other mental health disorder, I think that talking about it and informing people will only make it easier for people to feel less awkward or the odd man out. That's how I found about that I am not the only person in the room who has ADD. I'm more willing to come out and talk to people and discribe what I have to go through on a daily basis to raise awareness. School will always be hard for me so I look at my strengths to help push me forward in life.  Thank you for sharing! First of all I'd like to say I admire your bravery and I hope that things continue to improve. :) I agree, talking about it in a moderate amount is useful, as is reminding ourselves that mental health starts anybody, and that coping strategies and learning to love yourself are important no matter what, inside AND outside of a situation that would require therapy. It's also definitely helpful to know you're not the only one. And that there are so many successful people who have battled the same battles and still came out on top. Again, thank you. :)
reply about 3 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing?  First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional.  Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV).  My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with.  Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported
reply about 3 hours