Sports Venues - Chase Field
Chase Field is truly a one-of-a-kind stadium. What other ball park has a swimming pool in right field?
Chase Field - History
Chase Field opened in 1998 during the Arizona Diamondbacks' inaugural season in the MLB. At that time, Chase Field was the only stadium, other than Toronto's Skydome, to have a retractable roof. The Diamondbacks won the 2001 World Series over the New York Yankees at Chase Field.
Chase Field - Features
The retractable roof isn't the only unique feature of this ball park. Chase Stadium also has a swimming pool located directly over the right field wall. The pool is big enough to fit 35 people and even has a little water slide! The stadium also has air conditioning because anybody who has been to Arizona knows that it can get more than a little hot during the summers. While a lot of indoor ball parks have that fake astro-turf, Chase Field was the first indoor/outdoor stadium to have real grass inside.
Chase Field - Other Events
Aside from hosting baseball games, Chase Field has also played host to soccer events, college football games and even college basketball games. Several Arizona State University women's basketball games have been played at Chase Field. In fact, during one of those games, during the fourth quarter, play had to be stopped because it started raining. Although play continued after they closed the retractable roof, it was the first time a basketball game had to be stopped due to rain!
Chase Field – Fun Facts
- Up until the 2006 season, Chase Field was originally named Bank One Ballpark.
- Chase Field's retractable roof consists of nine million pounds of structural steel.
- Chase Field has an 8,000 ton cooling system, which is the equivalent of air conditioning for 2,500 Arizona houses.
- George W. Bush hosted a rally at Chase Field during the 2004 Presidential Elections.
- Chase Field cost $354 million to build.
- Chase Field seats 49,033 people for baseball games.
- It costs just $2 worth of electricity to open or close the nine million pound roof at Chase Field.
- Sports Venues - Fenway Park
- 2007 Major League Baseball Season Preview
- Ryan Howard Biography
- More Sports Facts and Trivia!