This Week in Sports - August 20-24, 2007
This week Michael Vick pleads guilty to dog fighting charges and a 59-year old man joins a college football team! Read more!
Vick Pleads Guilty
On Monday, Michael Vick threw in the towel and decided not to fight the dog fighting charges brought against him. He will plead guilty when he goes to court on August 27. The week prior, the two other co-defendants in the case planned to plead guilty and testify against Vick. Vick's future in the NFL is unclear as some people predict he will never play another game in his life. Vick is most likely facing two-years in prison.
Eddie Griffin Dies
After years of battling alcohol addiction and personal problems, former NBA player Eddie Griffin died last Friday when his car hit a train. He was identified on Tuesday using dental records. Griffin was the top high school player in 2000, and was a top 10 draft pick in 2001. He spent his six seasons in the NBA with the Houston Rockets, New Jersey Nets and Minnesota Timberwolves. Griffin was 25 years old.
College Signs Senior Citizen
One of the more bizarre news stories of the week would have to be Mike Flynt joining the Sul Ross State (a Division III college in Texas) football team. Flynt is 59 years old, and is also a grandfather. Flynt has been a strength coach for different universities over the years, and is in excellent shape. He had played for Sul Ross in the late '60s, but was thrown off the team his senior year for fighting. Flynt said that was his biggest regret, and has returned to the school to finish what he started.
Notes Around the Sports World
- Last Sunday, Minnesota Twins pitcher Johan Santana broke the team's single-game strikeout record with 17 in a victory over the Texas Rangers.
- After weeks of working out, Reggie Miller decided not to come out of retirement and make a comeback with the Boston Celtics.
- In one of the biggest butt-whoopin's in recent history, the Texas Rangers handed the Baltimore Orioles a 30-3 spanking on Wednesday.
- On Thursday night, David Beckham showed a bit of his temper in a game against Chivas USA. After being tackled from behind by the Chivas' Jesse Marsch, Beckham had to be restrained. The Galaxy ended up losing to Chivas 3-0.
- This Week in Sports - August 13-17, 2007
- This Week in Sports - August 6-10, 2007
- This Week in Sports - July 30-Aug. 3, 2007
- More Sports Zone Articles!