x

Meet New Friends!

Recommended friends are based on your interests. Make sure they are up to date.

Friends ff8c072dd79a91c1300f032d674241a8d64367100ffb1f25fa3f9bec4a05319f
Kidzworld Logo

Politics and Religion

Thinking I'm Atheist?-moved

← Previous 1 3 4
Posted By:
DemonicDream
DemonicDream
Member since:
January 2012
Status:
Offline

Posts: 3105
Star 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1e
Posted over 5 years ago
The other day I got the guts to tell my mother I'm Atheist. I was scared, because we come from a Catholic family. "No, you believe in God, you only think you're Atheist." Is what she said. It's frustrating. Is there anything I can do to make her get the point? Or should I leave it alone?

Even if the castle, burns away to a crisp, if the decomposing bodies, are one day nothing more, eve if my secrets, one day lose their allure, even if the gold, one day turns to dust. My vow I shall keep, and not stray from it's path, all for one and one for all, I vow one day, the Dark King will fall.


Posted By:
Alexithymia_1396133 Lock e1691472cafece64304be81c5c9c507a93800d3a6cd5948297266277351b71ef
Alexithymia_1396133
Member since:
December 2009
Status:
Offline

Posts: 9052
Star 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1e
Posted over 5 years ago

"DemonicDream" wrote:

The other day I got the guts to tell my mother I'm Atheist. I was scared, because we come from a Catholic family. "No, you believe in God, you only think you're Atheist." Is what she said. It's frustrating. Is there anything I can do to make her get the point? Or should I leave it alone?
You can try explaining to her that an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in gods and that you're sure you don't believe in gods, so you're an atheist. Unfortunately, she might need time to get used to the idea, if she does at all. Best of luck; I'm always here if you need to talk.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek proverb

Because of school, I don't have much time to be on KW atm.


Posted By:
DemonicDream
DemonicDream
Member since:
January 2012
Status:
Offline

Posts: 3105
Star 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1e
Posted over 5 years ago

"Alexithymia" wrote:

"DemonicDream" wrote:

The other day I got the guts to tell my mother I'm Atheist. I was scared, because we come from a Catholic family. "No, you believe in God, you only think you're Atheist." Is what she said. It's frustrating. Is there anything I can do to make her get the point? Or should I leave it alone?
You can try explaining to her that an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in gods and that you're sure you don't believe in gods, so you're an atheist. Unfortunately, she might need time to get used to the idea, if she does at all. Best of luck; I'm always here if you need to talk.
The thing is, she knows what an atheist is. She thinks just because I have crosses and tiny glass angels means I believe in God[s], even though I just think they're cool to have. I'm starting to think maybe she's embarrassed or something. I try to talk to her about it, but she just shoos me off.

Even if the castle, burns away to a crisp, if the decomposing bodies, are one day nothing more, eve if my secrets, one day lose their allure, even if the gold, one day turns to dust. My vow I shall keep, and not stray from it's path, all for one and one for all, I vow one day, the Dark King will fall.


Posted By:
Teh_Skittlez_1249024 Lock e1691472cafece64304be81c5c9c507a93800d3a6cd5948297266277351b71ef
Teh_Skittlez_1249024
Member since:
April 2009
Status:
Offline

Posts: 13978
Star 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1e
Posted over 5 years ago
I wouldn't suggest coming out as an atheist until you're at a point where you have your own money and can keep yourself stable, and they can't punish you for it. 

Posted By:
AlphaT_1747988 Lock e1691472cafece64304be81c5c9c507a93800d3a6cd5948297266277351b71ef
AlphaT_1747988
Member since:
March 2011
Status:
Offline

Posts: 11131
Star 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1e
Posted over 5 years ago
Pastor Rick did a sermon on this. Basicly....you need to rethink your decision, try non-demoninationial for a spin.....just evalutate every religion, non-biaost, and just think everything through before you make a decision for the rest of your life.


Posted By:
Alexithymia_1396133 Lock e1691472cafece64304be81c5c9c507a93800d3a6cd5948297266277351b71ef
Alexithymia_1396133
Member since:
December 2009
Status:
Offline

Posts: 9052
Star 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1e
Posted over 5 years ago

"DemonicDream" wrote:

"Alexithymia" wrote:

"DemonicDream" wrote:

The other day I got the guts to tell my mother I'm Atheist. I was scared, because we come from a Catholic family. "No, you believe in God, you only think you're Atheist." Is what she said. It's frustrating. Is there anything I can do to make her get the point? Or should I leave it alone?
You can try explaining to her that an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in gods and that you're sure you don't believe in gods, so you're an atheist. Unfortunately, she might need time to get used to the idea, if she does at all. Best of luck; I'm always here if you need to talk.
The thing is, she knows what an atheist is. She thinks just because I have crosses and tiny glass angels means I believe in God[s], even though I just think they're cool to have. I'm starting to think maybe she's embarrassed or something. I try to talk to her about it, but she just shoos me off.
I'm sorry, hon. She's in denial. I'd give it some time. Please don't feel like it is necessary to get rid of your crosses or glass angels. A person is an atheist because of their lack of belief in gods, getting rid of religious symbols isn't necessary. There are atheists on this site that support you.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek proverb

Because of school, I don't have much time to be on KW atm.


Posted By:
Alexithymia_1396133 Lock e1691472cafece64304be81c5c9c507a93800d3a6cd5948297266277351b71ef
Alexithymia_1396133
Member since:
December 2009
Status:
Offline

Posts: 9052
Star 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1e
Posted over 5 years ago

"Teh_Skittlez" wrote:

I wouldn't suggest coming out as an atheist until you're at a point where you have your own money and can keep yourself stable, and they can't punish you for it. 
I think that, like coming out about sexuality, it depends on the parents. I recommend caution though.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek proverb

Because of school, I don't have much time to be on KW atm.


Posted By:
Teh_Skittlez_1249024 Lock e1691472cafece64304be81c5c9c507a93800d3a6cd5948297266277351b71ef
Teh_Skittlez_1249024
Member since:
April 2009
Status:
Offline

Posts: 13978
Star 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1e
Posted over 5 years ago

"Alexithymia" wrote:

"Teh_Skittlez" wrote:

I wouldn't suggest coming out as an atheist until you're at a point where you have your own money and can keep yourself stable, and they can't punish you for it. 
I think that, like coming out about sexuality, it depends on the parents. I recommend caution though.
Yeah. I just think it's a safer move overall to just wait when a harsh reaction isn't going to be as devastating to your life. If you're already moved out and living on your own and they hate that you're an Atheist and try to disown you completely, it's better than if you're 13 and still have another 5 years with them.  Of course not all parents, in fact few have that reaction, but I've seen it happen enough. 

Posted By:
Alexithymia_1396133 Lock e1691472cafece64304be81c5c9c507a93800d3a6cd5948297266277351b71ef
Alexithymia_1396133
Member since:
December 2009
Status:
Offline

Posts: 9052
Star 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1e
Posted over 5 years ago

"Teh_Skittlez" wrote:

"Alexithymia" wrote:

"Teh_Skittlez" wrote:

I wouldn't suggest coming out as an atheist until you're at a point where you have your own money and can keep yourself stable, and they can't punish you for it. 
I think that, like coming out about sexuality, it depends on the parents. I recommend caution though.
Yeah. I just think it's a safer move overall to just wait when a harsh reaction isn't going to be as devastating to your life. If you're already moved out and living on your own and they hate that you're an Atheist and try to disown you completely, it's better than if you're 13 and still have another 5 years with them.  Of course not all parents, in fact few have that reaction, but I've seen it happen enough. 
That's why I always recommend knowing a parent's stance on these matters beforehand. When it's safe to come out, not doing so can just cause more stress.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek proverb

Because of school, I don't have much time to be on KW atm.


Posted By:
Teh_Skittlez_1249024 Lock e1691472cafece64304be81c5c9c507a93800d3a6cd5948297266277351b71ef
Teh_Skittlez_1249024
Member since:
April 2009
Status:
Offline

Posts: 13978
Star 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1eStar 771721baa52164faab3e80914eb3e8e418513288f39d7ccffd0d5c4f8d045d1e
Posted over 5 years ago

"Alexithymia" wrote:

"Teh_Skittlez" wrote:

"Alexithymia" wrote:

"Teh_Skittlez" wrote:

I wouldn't suggest coming out as an atheist until you're at a point where you have your own money and can keep yourself stable, and they can't punish you for it. 
I think that, like coming out about sexuality, it depends on the parents. I recommend caution though.
Yeah. I just think it's a safer move overall to just wait when a harsh reaction isn't going to be as devastating to your life. If you're already moved out and living on your own and they hate that you're an Atheist and try to disown you completely, it's better than if you're 13 and still have another 5 years with them.  Of course not all parents, in fact few have that reaction, but I've seen it happen enough. 
That's why I always recommend knowing a parent's stance on these matters beforehand. When it's safe to come out, not doing so can just cause more stress.
When it's safe to come out there usually isn't a problem, though. 

← Previous 1 3 4

Latest Forum Posts

Loop It!

My Boy Friend Cheated On Me What Should I Do?

Loop It!

If you want to, vent. That's what I'm doin...

Loop It!

Happy Birthday Snow!!! (When you get online)

Country ABC Game

Ask Abbergrl Questions Here

Name SomeOne Who Is Online Right Now

Every 5th person claps!

Latest Videos

Play Online Games