Kw-logo-smaller

Dear Dish-It

Family Issues
Problems at home? Can’t seem to get along with your sibs? Get help now!

The way my dad treats his dogs is just cruel

Posted By:
JanetDoe
JanetDoe
StarStarStarStar
My dad lives across the country from me most of the time(i live with my mom and stepdad), but I can't help think about his poor dogs even though they aren't really my dogs and there's nothing i have the power to do to change how he treats them. He's not purposely hurting them physically though; it's what he DOESN'T do. He keeps them outside, literally all the time. They're not allowed inside at all, and they haven't been for years. All he does is feed and give them water. He never pets them, doesn't even care when they're having a heat stroke(it happens all the time during the summer), they haven't even had a bath for years. The reason he put them outside was because then, there was another family living with us and they had a baby, and he didn't want a dog and baby in the same house, but he would never give them away. The family moved out a year later, but he still kept them outside and he doesn't even have a reason to. 2 out of the previous 5 dogs already died because of it and he still hasn't changed his mind. I talked with him and my stepmom and recommended that he give them away, since he said he didn't want them in the house when I mentioned they were certain to have fleas and ticks on them from no bathing, then he got all defensive saying that he loved them and they were his dogs and he wasn't giving them away no matter what. If I go to his house again during the summer, I'm seriously considering to call my grandma to come to his house when he's not home, and take them to the pound. They would be better off there, and I'd never feel a bit guilty about it because I think they'd be better off. If he left me alone at the house, I'd probably find a way to kill them to put them out of their misery. The 2 that died had to die painfully and if this keeps going on, eventually they're all gonna die because of it. I'm not kidding, I seriously would do that if I got the chance. But it's sad that I'm even thinking of doing that and I don't know what to do. 

"As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in schools."

Posted By:
Black_Ivy
Black_Ivy
StarStarStar
theres nothing wrong keeping animals such as dogs outside. i mean that is their natural habitat. but if they are kept from food then thAt is a problem

~ You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~
Winston Churchill
~ "Have i gone mad?" "I'm afraid you're completely bonkers, but i will let you in on a little secret. All the best people are."~
Alice in Wonderland

Posted By:
Black_Ivy
Black_Ivy
StarStarStar
food and water*

~ You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~
Winston Churchill
~ "Have i gone mad?" "I'm afraid you're completely bonkers, but i will let you in on a little secret. All the best people are."~
Alice in Wonderland

Posted By:
AlphaT
AlphaT
StarStarStarStarStar
Your dad is right in this situation. To bring in a dog that hasn't been inside for a year is...destruction. My dad's  dog is outside, and he only gets petted when we go over to my dad's house. Heat stroke isn't something to really worry about, as long as the dog is healthy and has plenty of water. Outside is where most dogs belong. Now, if they were smaller puppies or toy dogs, that's different.

Humility is the only defense against humiliation -

Posted By:
blackears
blackears
Star
If you leave you dog outside in the summer. Bring him inside. Poor thing. They are probably lonely and sad. Just think about it. If you where outside in 90 degree weather all day would you like it. Even if they have water it can evaporate and disappear or it can spill over. Dogs need to be shown love just like kids and teens do. Why don't people care sometimes???

Posted By:
brunostar
brunostar
StarStarStarStarStar

"AlphaT" wrote:

Your dad is right in this situation. To bring in a dog that hasn't been inside for a year is...destruction. My dad's  dog is outside, and he only gets petted when we go over to my dad's house. Heat stroke isn't something to really worry about, as long as the dog is healthy and has plenty of water. Outside is where most dogs belong. Now, if they were smaller puppies or toy dogs, that's different.

Devil TongueHangoverFrustrated NoseWink GrinCool GrinEnragedHurtAngel Wink

DevilShoutBlushWink GrinCool TongueEmbarrassedGrinClown

Posted By:
brunostar
brunostar
StarStarStarStarStar

"JanetDoe" wrote:

If he left me alone at the house, I'd probably find a way to kill them to put them out of their misery. The 2 that died had to die painfully and if this keeps going on, eventually they're all gonna die because of it. I'm not kidding, I seriously would do that if I got the chance. But it's sad that I'm even thinking of doing that and I don't know what to do. 
wow, just wow... you're horrible.

Devil TongueHangoverFrustrated NoseWink GrinCool GrinEnragedHurtAngel Wink

DevilShoutBlushWink GrinCool TongueEmbarrassedGrinClown

Posted By:
hugebear
hugebear
Junior Mod
StarStarStarStarStar
Ello and no dog should die from neglect. I does think its natural for dogs to live outside if thats what they are used to. 

I love dogs and all animals and Im not the expert at all but Im gonna say the opinion and advise.

Some dogs prefer living outdoors and some indoors but they need water, love, shelter and food.  What I think does need to checked it their health. Dogs need to get regular groomings worming and ticks and flea prevention treatments.  They should get at least the annual health check too.

Me suggestion is... and I dunno if this will work is show your Dad what the pet care guidelines and requirements is and tell him that he needs to make sure he follows them... Ask him if he wants you to make the appointments for the health checks and help him organise it.

Good luck Love

from classicalmusicisepic for mesiggy

hugebearkeep calm and hug ted

Posted By:
JanetDoe
JanetDoe
StarStarStarStar

"AlphaT" wrote:

Smaller puppies? Um, the 2 that died were babies. One was like 1&1/2 years maybe, the other i can't tell it's exact age, but by size it's definitely a puppy, plus they actually called them puppies, not dogs. If that's what you mean by smaller puppies, well, some are. 

Posted By:
JanetDoe
JanetDoe
StarStarStarStar

"hugebear" wrote:

Ello and no dog should die from neglect. I does think its natural for dogs to live outside if thats what they are used to. 

I love dogs and all animals and Im not the expert at all but Im gonna say the opinion and advise.

Some dogs prefer living outdoors and some indoors but they need water, love, shelter and food.  What I think does need to checked it their health. Dogs need to get regular groomings worming and ticks and flea prevention treatments.  They should get at least the annual health check too.

Me suggestion is... and I dunno if this will work is show your Dad what the pet care guidelines and requirements is and tell him that he needs to make sure he follows them... Ask him if he wants you to make the appointments for the health checks and help him organise it.

Good luck Love

Thanks, it's a great idea, but he's my dad and he'd complain about it costing too much. He can barely afford the cost of the trip to see us once a year, there's no way he'd allow that and plus, my stepmom always is against us, always with him and she just gets mad at almost anything i say. The only time i told my dad the truth on a lot of OTHER issues which are now resolved, she was never there for it. There's no way I'd stand a chance. He doesn't care, I've tried before telling him he should care better for them and he and my stepmom blew me off, they said i was being ridiculous. Talking to him won't help anything. But thanks for the advice, I'd do it but it's no use. 

← Previous 1

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

Big_icon_(7)

Have you ever fancied being a ranger like those fantasy characters you love so m...

Hour-of-code-tumb

Millions of Students will be doing an Hour of Code with Tynker December 8th-14th...

Big_icon_(4)

You run across the city in a car chase with the police officers.

Big_icon_(6)

The evil master kidnapped all of your friends!

latest forum posts

Ferguson

Ferguson

Words that start with C.

WHOM DO U LOVE D MOST?

If you had kids what would you name them?

Favourite book

latest videos