1. Write a story where the character is completely original.
Everything about this character is different from the typical but
that character must live and interact in a world that is normal.
Does this character create conflict or perhaps adapt to the world?
2.Try to pick two of your personal favorite characters in a book,
game, show or movie. Change the names of the characters. Write a
story where these two characters meet and become best friends or
enemies. Make this relationship central to your story.
3. Write a story that involves something that is really fearful to
you. Your story could involve how the character overcomes this fear
or how the character is consumed by their fear.
4. Think of an illness that you find interesting or that has
occurred with your family. Write a story where the main character
has to deal with this illness to some degree. Maybe he has the
disease or a family member is suffering from the disease. How does
this affect that person, how does it relate to the overall story
line and how does the main character cope or not cope with the
5. Your main character wakes up and it’s a perfectly normal day.
However, when he or she calls their significant other, they discover
their name is not in their phone. They soon discover that their
loved one no longer exists. Everyone seems to think this person
is crazy since they have absolutely no idea who this loved one is.
What happens next?
6. Write a story of romance but from a different cultural perspective.
For instance write about romance in China, India, Namibia and so on.
7. Write a love story about someone going through a marital conflict
such as a divorce.
8. Imagine a beautiful dream you had once. Now write a story
surrounding that dream. Maybe the event takes place in that area,
or perhaps that is the same dream of your character, and so on.
9.Write a disturbing story about a character who has somewhat
perverse dreams and has to cope with it somehow.
10. Write a story that begins with, “She tripped and fell into the
11. Write a story where the opening scene is a fun summer bon-fire
that involves drinking, maybe a beach or a lake, and laughter.
12. Write a story about a romantic summer romance. Think of all the
places you wish you could fall in love and who you would like to
fall in love with. Write a story based on that setting and on the
character you would find most desirable.
13. Write a story about a world that has an eternal winter. Winter
is all the civilization knows. Write about how this civilization
evolved, why it has always snowed and perhaps leave clues that winter
may be ending. How does the civilization handle the changes of
winter to spring?
14. Write a story about a character’s journey to becoming a
15. Write a story that follows characters who are somehow involved
in music tour around the nation. The characters could be the band
members, agents, groupies, fans and so on.