Kw-logo-smaller

Random

Poetry & Stories
Show your creative writing side to other users.

Cotton Candy

Posted By:
Gingerkissx
Gingerkissx
StarStarStarStarStar
I got bored and I keep getting random story ideas so I decided to write one of them. This is what I've written so far...

Her minty eyes, glimmered as she saw the words Fortune Telling Booth. Hazel's dirty blonde hair swished through the wind, as her head glanced in my direction and she gave my arm a strong tug.
"Oh my god, Gabrielle - we have to go here!" She squeaked, her finger pointed at the sign.
My eyes, however, were more directed to the other areas. Games, cotton candy, magic tricks and rides. It was obvious, that we were here at one of the best carnivals of all time. Not that I could really believe it myself. I had pinched myself around ten times now yet I haven't woken up!
Hazel flicked her fingers.
"Um, hello!" she interrupted my thoughts. "Earth to Gabrielle?"
Even though Hazel and I were best friends, when it came to mysterious, superstitious things, we were worlds away. Like fortune tellers. I mean, come on - how is some random old woman (or man) supposed to know your future? Fortune telling, just really wasn't my thing. 
"You can go in if you like." I mumbled. "I'll wait right here."
Hazel must have not listened at all, when she dragged me to the booth. She must not have seen the desire in my eyes, for some form of something edible, sweet when she handed over two tickets. Something that was not going to be found in the fortune booth.
As soon as we stepped inside, I noticed a change in the atmosphere. Not only was it eerily dark, but it was also cold. Where were they hiding the air conditioning? Last time I checked, it was summer. Last time I checked, the sun had caused severe sunburns despite several layers of sunblock. I was starting to feel a little chilly, in my tank top and short skirt. The atmosphere was so bizarre, I almost didn't notice that there was nobody in the booth.
"Strange." Hazel whispered. "I could swear she was here when we walked in."
I could too. We glanced over to the entrance, and I was seriously considering making a dash for it. But that was when we heard, a strange hypnotising voice.
"Why, I'm right here."
Our heads immediately swung back to her direction and there she was. Hazel and I, we both had strange expressions on her faces. Hers, from a mix of excitement and surprise - then there's mine, from shock. That was some magic trick.
There was a moment of silence, where I took the time to make note of the booth. She had a little table, with an ocean blue cloth over it - pretty usual. Also settled on the table, was a glass ball. I guess that helps play the part. Also, behind her seemed to be other junk, but because of the lighting, I couldn't tell what it was.
"Hazel." She guessed. "...and Gabby."
Her eyes locked with mine for a short amount of time, before I coughed.
"Um, its Gabrielle." I stated.
Not that she was completely wrong. My mum sometimes calls me Gabby when she's upset. But it still wasn't really my name.
She seemed to ignore what I had just said, as she glanced into Hazels eyes. Eye contact remained between them for an uncomfortable length of time. Come on, was she going to do something? I don't know, throw out some tarot cards - isn't that what they do?
"I sense your aura, Hazel." She beamed. "You're a believer."
Hazel's eyes were wide. She nodded, not a word escaping her lips. I don't know how long we'd been sitting in this booth, but I was not impressed. Hazel, well...she must have been totally brainwashed beforehand.
"But you." She turned to me. "You didn't want to come here, did you?"
 "Wow, we have a psychic in the house!" I responded, sarcastically.
Hazel shot me a look, and I zipped my lips. Were we really sitting here, wasting our time - and tickets on a phony fortune teller?
"Your aura though, its quite powerful - my dear." She promised, ignoring me again. "You have potential."
This started to remind me of teacher interviews. Every year, my parents insist on attending, but the teachers all say the same thing. 'Oh yes, Gabrielle is doing fine. She's got a lot of potential!' and it makes me wonder, why do we go? Why are we wasting our time?
The fortune teller began to explain this belief she has, that each human has some sort of superpower. But unless they 'find it within themselves', they may never discover this power. Never being able to control it, or know they have it. I think that's what she said, anyway...
"I do quite well in mind reading." She confessed proudly.
Really? I'd like to see that in action.
"You're both currently thinking about the carnival." She said.
There was a silence. Even Hazel, didn't look convinced.
"That's too obvious." I pointed out. "Tell me what I was thinking before I entered the booth."
Her eyes locked onto mine. Here we go, the awkward stare of mystery. To be honest, things did feel a little weird at this point. I literally did feel as if thoughts were being extracted from my brain, but that was obviously physcological. What creeped me out the most, was the fact that she was not blinking. How long did we have eye contact? Surely she had to blink at some point.
"Cotton candy." she confirmed. 
"How you hadn't had it in four, no, five years. The sweet, sickly taste you loved and the feeling of it on your fingers. The pink of it, your favourite colour. Some strange memory, of your father handing you cotton candy and whispering 'Goodbye, sweet Gabrielle.'"
For some strange reason, I kind of liked this fortune teller. Maybe she didn't have mind reading powers, but it was interesting to hear something - something like that, and have no idea how she did it. After all, I never talked about my dad and there was no way she could have known about that memory. The last, bitter-sweet memory of my father. 

Ginger|Melissa

Cotton Candy

Posted By:
Evea
Evea
StarStarStarStar
This is actually amazing.  smile

sig

Cotton Candy

Posted By:
Gingerkissx
Gingerkissx
StarStarStarStarStar

"Evea" wrote:

This is actually amazing.  smile

Thanks!

Ginger|Melissa

Cotton Candy

Posted By:
littlemillennium
littlemillennium
Star
wow.. i really like your post.. smile

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

Big_icon_(7)

Have you ever fancied being a ranger like those fantasy characters you love so m...

Big_icon_(4)

You run across the city in a car chase with the police officers.

Big_icon_(6)

The evil master kidnapped all of your friends!

Big_icon_(5)

Tic Tac Toe is back!

latest forum posts

We the Kidz

We the Kidz

We the Kidz

We the Kidz

We the Kidz

We the Kidz

latest videos