Back left
Back right

Advice to You

Celebs cartoon
Posted over 6 years ago

Posted By:

Thumb
    Ranking:

Aerobic exercise: when your body uses oxygen for endurance type activities. It reduces your body fat levels. Moderate intensity, long duration, involves many muscle groups, increases cardiovascular fitness, leads to overall weight loss and requires a moderate intensity to induce fat loss.
Anaerobic exercise: when your body switches to burning fuel without oxygen for intense speed or strength activities . It increases the lean muscle to fat body mass ratio. High intensity, short duration, often involves few selected muscle groups, builds muscle, increases body strength and reduces fat in your body.
-  A balanced combination of both types of exercise is best for keeping fit, strong and at a healthy weight.

How to get exercising:
1. Start small, some activity is better than none - walk or ride a bike to the store instead of driving.
2. Choose something you'll enjoy (or won't hate) - don't go to the gym if you don't like the gym, go for a walk, ride a bike to a friend's house or throw a ball at the park.
3. Choose a time of the day/week that works for you - everybody is different and are motivated at different times of the day, but be cautious of night time exercise because you may have problems falling asleep.
4. Gradually build up physical activity - increase the amount of time in a day, or the number of days in a week. aim for 30 - 60 mins  a day.
5. Getting warm or out of breath doesn't feel great - but it means you're working hard and it will get easier. 

Posted over 6 years ago

Posted By:

Thumb
    Ranking:

Four areas to work on:
Body care - it's all about making sure the basics like sleep and eating are on track.
Achievement - it means picking up something even if it's just one thing and trying to get a little better at it every day. It can be something fun like learning guitar or something as small as trying to get up when your alarm goes off.
Connect with others - it's a good way for you to build up positive and healthy relationships with people who are important to you and staying involved in your community
Enjoyment - it gives you the chance to do the things that make you happy and that contribute to your health.

Trying to do all these skills everyday takes some effort, but it will help you build some healthy practices into your day.

Posted over 6 years ago

Posted By:

Thumb
    Ranking:

Mindful breathing:
1. Pick a spot to sit down comfortably in a loose but upright position with both feet flat on the ground, if standing allow yourself to feel both feet connecting firmly with the ground.
2. If you feel the need to close your eyes do so, otherwise simply let your eyes relax into a soft gaze.
3. Gently bring your attention to your breath, without asking it to change or be different in any way. Follow the breath as it enters through your nostrils... down your neck... into your lungs, then notice where the breath turns  around and makes its way back up.
4. Notice the change of temperature in your breath, cool as you inhale and warm as you exhale.
5. Notice the sensations in your body as you breathe, your lungs expanding and contracting, your chest and stomach rising and falling.
6. You may find yourself distracted by certain thoughts or feelings, that is okay. Notice them, acknowledge their presence, and then bring your attention back to your breathing. You can redirect your attention as much as you need.
7. Allow yourself a few more moments of tracking your breath however long as you like, then at your own speed and pace, gently open your eyes, stretch and bring your attention back to your surroundings orienting yourself in the present.
8. Remember that your breath is an anchor grounding you in the present - it is yours and only yours, it's always there, and you can come back to it whenever you need.

Posted over 6 years ago

Posted By:

Thumb
    Ranking:

Alternative coping:
Feeling angry - flatten aluminum cans for recycling seeing how fast you can go, hit a punching bag, use a pillow to hit the wall - pillow fight style, dance, clean, exercise, stomp around in heavy shoes, play handball or tennis, run, jump, skip, lift weights, ride your bike, swim, punch pillows, scream into pillows, yell or sing at the top of your lungs, anything that helps you move the angry energy out of you.
Feeling empty: list the many uses for different objects (what are all the things you can do with a twist tie?), interact with people, take a cold bath, stomp your feet, focus on how it feels to breathe and notice the way your chest and stomach move with each breathe.
Feeling guilty: list as many good things about yourself, read something good that someone has written about you, talk to someone who cares about you, do something nice for someone else, remember when you've done something good, think about why you feel guilty and how you can change it.
Wanting focus: do a task that requires focus and concentration, eat something mindfully - notice how it looks and feels - describe the texture - how does it smell - chew slowly noticing how the texture and taste change as you chew it, choose an object in the room examine it carefully and write a detailed description of it, try to list 30 different uses of one object, pick a subject and research about it.
Feeling sad or depressed: do something slow and soothing, take a hot bath with bubbles, curl up under a comforter, hug a loved one or stuffed animal, play with a pet, make a list of things that make you happy, do something nice for someone else, listen to soothing music, smooth nice body lotion into the parts of yourself you want to hurt or call a friend and just talk about things that you like.
Other general distractions:  call someone, be around people, write down your feelings, draw, play a game, read, take a shower, music, open a dictionary and learn new words, do homework, cook, dig, clean, watch a feel good movie, do yoga, meditate, imagine yourself as a tree with your feet growing roots deep into the earth supporting you, hold onto an ice cube, splash water onto your face, play the categories game(for each letter of the alphabet, animals, names, etc)

Posted over 6 years ago

Posted By:

Thumb
    Ranking:

When I can't speak, I write. I write to get my feelings on paper. I write hoping to encourage somebody, somewhere one day. I write when nobody will listen. I write to let my heart speak to me and possibly others. If nothing else, I write so I can grow. Grow into whom I want to be. Grow into somebody worthwhile and worth listening to - when my words will be listened to rather than read. 

Posted over 6 years ago

Posted By:

Thumb
    Ranking:

From the moment you were produced inside your mothers body, till the moment near your unfortunate death, you are always going to have one person that sticks with you through everything. No, it is not your mum, nor your dad, in fact that person is you.

Posted over 6 years ago

Posted By:

Thumb
    Ranking:

Divorce: If you think that nothing will ever be the same after your parents divorce, you're right. However, just because things have changed doesn't mean that you can't go on to live a great life. It may be in a different house and with a different routine, but there is still life after divorce. School keeps going, life keeps going, and most importantly, you keep going. Don't believe me? Ask around at your school and I guarantee you that you'll find other teens whose parents are divorced. They've made it through and you will too. Children of divorce can and do go on to live successful lives, even becoming president of the United States. It may not be easy, but you can make it through, this is NOT the end of the road.

Posted over 6 years ago

Posted By:

Thumb
    Ranking:

Many teens have trouble understanding that one does not have to have a boyfriend or girlfriend to have a good teen life, many singles are having fun too. Being single will give you more time for your friends, your activities, your education, your job, and your hobbies. You have all your life to be in a relationship. Maybe it might be the best advice to get your act together before you consider dating, and you may have a lot more picking when you are in college and in the real world when you are less focused on popularity.

Posted over 6 years ago

Posted By:

Thumb
    Ranking:

Because your teen years will one day be a memory in history and never come back, enjoy it with all your heart and soul. Don't you want to remember the good times of high school, not the drama and bad times?

Posted over 6 years ago

Posted By:

Thumb
    Ranking:

Please be a smart and safe driver when you are learning/getting your license, never drink and drive. It will scar you forever if you do something you wish you didn't.