Back left
Back right

Why Are Many People So Afraid Of Snakes?

Celebs cartoon
Posted about 1 year ago

Posted By:

Thumb
I, being the reptile lover I am, would like to know what it is about these members of the Squamata family that cause people to be so afraid of them. Do you have a fear of snakes? If so, please give me a reason why. I am always eager to look through a new perspective.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."
-Joker

Posted about 1 year ago

Posted By:

Thumb
I really like snakes (personally, as I’ve had two pythons around my neck) but from my own experience of odd phobias, a fear isn’t something to be questioned. Sometimes people have the fear of poisonous snakes and others sometimes fear the unknown. There are dozens of different reasons why someone might not like a particular thing. Everyone is different and you can’t judge people based on them! (Not saying you are, just a side note)

1000th post: 28/09/18

Posted about 1 year ago

Posted By:

Thumb

Cuz snakes are very dangerous and harm human beings and I am afraid of snakes that their poisonous and if they bite me I  am gone forever and I hate snakes and their too harmful

Wengie is my favourite.
Love
Angel
Cool

Posted about 1 year ago

Posted By:

Thumb

"minha" wrote:

Cuz snakes are very dangerous and harm human beings and I am afraid of snakes that their poisonous and if they bite me I  am gone forever and I hate snakes and their too harmful
"  Out of more than  3000  species of snakes in the world, some  600  are venomous and over 200 are considered to be medically important."
Snakes are very shy creatures and apart from, maybe two? They'll try their best to get away from you if they see you coming. They are easily frightened. The attacks you hear about in the news are usually from people who have stepped on the snake or gone out of their way to pursue it, leaving it no choice but to attack for fear of its own life.
The grass snake, for example, has almost never been found to bite. They instead coil in on themselves, stick out their tongue and pretend they are dead. The banded black and white sea snakes have one of the most venomous bites of all, but there's only a 1/4 chance they will actually manage to sink their teeth far enough to harm you. And even then the chance of them actually trying to attack is so low that there's no real reason to be as frightened as people are (though I would still exersise caution around one on the off chance, even though they, y'know, live in the ocean).  
Did you know more people are attacked by dogs? The chances of being bitten by a snake are low but dying is even lower considering how medically advanced we are.
"
There are about  5 million  dog-bite cases annually in the U.S., Polsky estimated. Around  30  to 40 people die each year from their injuries, and an estimated 100,000 are injured badly enough to require plastic surgery or extensive suturing, according to Polsky. Most fatal dog attacks involve pit bulls."
This applies to sharks as well, "less than 1 person per year is killed by a shark in Florida." 
Snakes are estimated to cause around 50,000 deaths a year. Dogs cause around 25,000 but you know what causes the most deaths? Mosquitoes, at 725,000 a year. You know what's right next to them?
Humans. Humans, under mosquitoes, cause the most deaths of other humans EVERY YEAR at 475,000. "three people are killed by a gun per hour and almost  seven people  are shot every 60 minutes"
If you're afraid of snakes, I think it's only fair you should be afraid of humans, mosquitoes and dogs as well.

Posted 12 months ago

Posted By:

Thumb
There is no need to be afraid of snakes and I think think being afraid of snakes is a bit ridiculous. Animals used to be believed as the most vicious living things, especially snakes, sharks and lions. But this is absolutely untrue. In fact, humans are the most vicious ad dangerous living beings on earth, having killed more than 25930000000 people between 2000 and 2015. And carnivores had only killed 593500000 living beings during that period of time. 

Posted 11 months ago

Posted By:

Thumb
Lock
I've never seen a snake in real life, so I really haven't thought about being afraid of them. I feel like I would be though because of how they slither... the way things move seem to scare me, like how fast spiders move.

i don't have a horrible fear of them though like I have of spiders, since I never see them.

There will be no further explanation. There will just be reputation.

News Feed

To view your full News Feed please Login using your Username and Password or Register with Kidzworld!

Entertainment
Forum Activity