Kw-logo-smaller

Dear Dish-It: My Dog Keeps Barking!

Barking Dog
Barking Dog

Dear Dish-It,

My dog just won’t stop barking! Ever since I got my 2010 calendar with dogs on each month, my dog keeps growling and crying and yelping at every single poster or picture in the house. What do I do?

Jenny


Dear Jenny,


Secret Admirer

Some dogs naturally like to bark more than others – it sounds like your dog is a big fan of barking! Luckily, it’s totally normal. Dogs are known not only to bark and make noises when they see another dog in real life, but also when they see or hear a dog on TV or in a photo. The other good news is you can train your dog not to bark by following these steps.




Secret Admirer

The first thing to know is that when dogs bark excessively (that means a lot or too much) at other dogs, whether in real life or dogs they see on TV or in photos, it’s probably for a reason. Most dog experts will tell you that either your dog is not getting enough social time or he’s trying to protect you. The trick is to figure out which of these two things – socialization or protection – your dog is trying to tell you about when he barks.


Barking To Protect You

Secret Admirer

Dogs mostly bark when they see something strange or new, like another dog, and want to let everyone around them know that this could possibly be a problem. Basically, he is trying to protect you by warning you through his bark. This type of barking is easy to identify: listen for two or three quick barks in a row. If that’s what you hear, then you’re dog is trying to protect you from a new dog he thinks is a threat (because he doesn’t know the dog is just in a picture).


The worst thing you can do if this is the case is to respond to your dog by saying something like “No! Stop that! Bad dog!” To a dog, those short, quick, loud words sound the same as his own short, quick, two or three barks in a row, and therefore they mean “Quick! There’s a problem! Strange dog!” rather than “No! Stop that! Bad dog!” (Remember, dogs don’t speak English. They don’t hear the words you say to them, just the sounds.) Basically, by yelling, you’re just making your dog feel like he’s right, because you just repeated what he was telling you!


Secret Admirer

Basically, when your dog gives two or three quick, short, loud barks in a row (so you know he’s trying to protect you), the right thing to do is to hear his message (even though you know it’s just a poster and nothing is really wrong) and show him you understand what he’s saying and barking at. Walk over to him, look at the poster or picture, make sure he’s watching you, and, with a soft and normal voice, say something like, “Good guarding, nothing is wrong, everything is OK.” Then walk him away from the picture to a quiet area and have him lie down. Keep repeating this until your dog understands that everything is safe and he doesn’t need to bark at the pictures of dogs in your house anymore.


Barking For Socialization

Secret Admirer

If the barking you hear isn’t two or three short barks in a row, then your dog isn’t trying to protect you from the dog he sees in the picture – he’s trying to tell you he wants to play with that dog! Make sure you walk your dog two or three times a day. A great way to socialize your dog is to find a dog park close to your home and take your dog there as often as you can to run around and play with other dogs. If there’s no park nearby, find out if there are other dogs in your neighborhood who would like to meet from time to time to play together. Or, just walk with your dog regularly and, when you see another dog being walked at the same time, ask its owner if you can introduce your dog to the other dog.


Remember, dogs are very social animals and they like being with you and with other dogs. The other thing they love more than anything in the world is to be outside, running and playing and rolling around in the grass. Make sure you’re giving your dog enough exercise and play time outside and you’ll probably find that he won’t bark as much when he’s indoors.



Related Stories:

  • Bad Food For Dogs
  • Teach Your Dog To Shake
  • Teach Your Dog To Sit


  • >
    >

    readers voted!

    Comments

    SCOOBYDOOMANN7
    it reallyed helped thanks dish it
    commented: Sat Mar 29, 2014

    cakecup434

    cakecup434 wrote:

    Get a back scitcher for the dog
    commented: Mon Jul 08, 2013

    Superawsomez

    Superawsomez wrote:

    My dog howls instead of barks
    commented: Fri Oct 26, 2012

    there are 26 more comments

    Please login or register to add comments


    like this article?
    Sign up now to get more just like!

    latest videos

    F1119384676687

    Best Place To Take Your Dog?

    • The beach.
    • The park.
    • The mall.
    • No where - I hate dogs.

    related stories

    Dear Dish-It in the forums

    OnceUponAtime143
    My "best friend" for two years told me she wasn't coming to my birthday party because she had plans. I told her when the party was 2 months ago and she OK. Now its 4 days away and she says she isn't going because she has plans with her boyfriend. She is my best friend! Shes like my sister! and to know that she picked her boyfriend over me hurts. She is the worst friend ever! What do I do?
    reply about 1 hour
    american_brit
    american_brit posted in Friends:
    "animefreakXD" wrote: "american_brit" wrote: "animefreakXD" wrote: guys are the bomb! They're my best friends! I can talk to them like a normal person, but more because you don't have to worry about them gossiping! :D Haha XD You haven't seen some of the guys at my school...  Really, you should just be yourself. Don't try too hard thinking about the right things to say and the right way to act.  That's when you fumble and mess up. Be natural! Be yourself! And relax! You might blush a bit or feel embarrassed, but that is OKAY. I promise you'll survive.  Yeah, guys can be confusing, but they're human too! :) Wow. Shocker, right? :P Talk to them as you would anybody else ^-^
    reply about 3 hours
    american_brit
    american_brit posted in Friends:
    "amethystdances" wrote: I know, but its embarrassing. -sigh- That it is, but you'll be okay. If you don't know what to say, sometimes it's best to not say anything at all, you know? We don't all have the same personalities. We're not all amazing conversationalists (I'm talking about you Lex! Thanks by the way. We can always find something to talk about ^-^)  -and no one can expect from us. I'll say it again, be yourself. That's all anyone can ask of you -and if they don't like that... too bad! You deserve nothing more than friends (and possibly a friend? * wink wink * Sorry!!! ) who accept you just the way you are -and love for it.
    reply about 3 hours
    Teh_Skittlez
    Teh_Skittlez posted in Friends:
    It might sound condescending, but I really don't mean it that way. Just talk to them like an ordinary person. 
    reply about 3 hours
    animefreakXD
    animefreakXD posted in Friends:
    "american_brit" wrote: "animefreakXD" wrote: guys are the bomb! They're my best friends! I can talk to them like a normal person, but more because you don't have to worry about them gossiping! :D Haha XD You haven't seen some of the guys at my school...  Really, you should just be yourself. Don't try too hard thinking about the right things to say and the right way to act.  That's when you fumble and mess up. Be natural! Be yourself! And relax! You might blush a bit or feel embarrassed, but that is OKAY. I promise you'll survive.  Yeah, guys can be confusing be they're human too! :)
    reply about 3 hours

    play online games

    Candy-100

    A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

    Big_icon_(7)

    Have you ever fancied being a ranger like those fantasy characters you love so m...

    Big_icon_(4)

    You run across the city in a car chase with the police officers.

    Big_icon_(6)

    The evil master kidnapped all of your friends!

    Big_icon_(5)

    Tic Tac Toe is back!