All About Animals :: Monkeys
Do you need some ideas for a school science project? What about animals? Kidzworld is starting a new segment called “All About Animals” and we will be exploring the nature of a particular animal or species every week. This week why don’t we start with everyone’s favorite animal… the monkey!
Evolution of Monkeys
Golden Snub Nose Monkey
Monkeys are one of the funniest animals in nature. They are full of curiosity and adventure, mischief and intelligence. A monkey would make a great science project because there are many different species that you could explore, and also, you could study how monkeys evolved into human beings.
Although most monkeys look the same with their long arms and human-like faces, there are over 250 breeds of this species. Let’s take a look at some of their similar characteristics.
- Monkeys live in the jungle (mostly tropical rain forests)
- Monkeys love to eat fruits (like BANANAS), but monkeys eat will anything that smells good... and bad
- Monkeys are sneaky, and in cities like Bangkok, they will steal food from street vendors, stores and unsuspecting tourists
- Monkeys have feelings just like humans (Love, Fear, Compassion, Hate)
- Monkeys nurse and help each other when wounded
- They hold hands and groom with affection
- Small monkeys can be kept as pets and trained as they are highly intelligent
- Larger monkeys are strong, quick, and have claws that can kill
The funniest feature about a monkey is that they enjoy to be BAD! Look at this video of a monkey terrorizing a tiger just for the fun of it. It’s like an extreme sport for them called “Tiger Tail Pulling”.
When hunting for food, monkeys work in groups. There is always a leader who gathers food while others stand guard. Monkeys speak a language for alerting danger. They have a word for each dangerous predator:
- Ehh… No Danger.
That Little Liar!
Monkeys have been discovered to lie amongst each other. While hunting for food, the leader sometimes finds a treat like an egg. If he wants that egg for himself without sharing with the others, he will yell “TIGER!”. And while his group of hunters retreat into the trees, he has lots of time to kick back and eat the egg all for himself.
Top 3 Favorite Monkeys
Some monkeys are so beautiful, we have to show you their picture. Here are our favorite breeds of monkeys…