On the Set of “Prom” with Aimee Teegarden
Kidzworld is sitting in “video village” (that’s movie-speak for the monitor area where a film’s director watches the action) on a high school athletic field in L.A.’s San Fernando Valley. We’re looking at a smoky, blackened, burned out shed in the distance. There are firemen on set. Yikes! Should we evacuate?
Nope. We’re safe. Disney’s new movie “Prom” features Nova, played by “Friday Night Light’s” Julie, Aimee Teegarden, as a prom chairman who is really p.o.’d and hurt that someone has burned up all her decorations.
After we watch a confrontation scene between Nova and hottie/newbie at school, Jesse, played by cute, long-haired rebel Thomas McDonell, Aimee takes a break to come over and join us in the “village”.
Kidzworld: Can you clue us in on Nova?
- Aimee: I play Nova Prescott and she definitely has a strong personality. Everybody has to be perfect in her world. She’s an overachiever which is kind of why she’s the prom committee president. She’s very preppy.
Kidzworld: Are you an overachiever yourself?
- Aimee: I go back and forth. There are a lot of similarities. I like the idea of pushing forward to make everything work out one way or the other.
Kidzworld: Is your character Nova’s style anything like your own or totally different?
- Aimee: There are similar pieces. Nova wears a lot of dresses and I’m more of a dress girl. I’m a little more fashion-forward I suppose. I have a lot of classic pieces too like my closet is pretty much filled with dark denim jeans.
Kidzworld: God forbid but let’s say your closet is on fire, like the shed here on set. What would you save?
- Aimee: Oooo. I would save my purse collection and my shoe collection.
Kidzworld: How does working on Prom compare to work on the set of TV’s “Friday Night Lights”?
- Aimee: We have a very different shooting style here. Whereas “Friday Night Lights” was a lot of freeform improvisation and there is a continual storyline. Here, it’s a movie so there is an end.
Kidzworld: How does Nova differ from your TV character Julie?
- Aimee: They are both in high school. Nova’s a lot more outspoken and friendly. Julie was more of an introvert. Very set in her ways. And Nova’s definitely an outgoing go-getter.
Kidzworld: What attracted you to the role of Nova?
- Aimee: I just liked the idea that it was going to be a fun movie for Disney that was set in [a world with] a very realistic backdrop and wasn’t this bright, poppy, over-the-top, singing/dancing movie. I feel like it can withstand the ages and twenty years from now kids can watch it and relate to the issues and the look. It’s a very neutral palate. Nothing on this movie is [current] fashion. It’s timeless.
Kidzworld: Thomas said you guys were paired in auditions. How was that process? What did you think when you found out he would be your co-star/love interest?
- Aimee: I had met with the director and went to auditions when I was back in Texas doing “Friday Night Lights”. Then I got a call that they wanted to do a final audition in L.A. so I flew out and did a mix and match with five other guys. I was auditioning myself so I was more nervous for myself than anyone else at the time but Thomas was the first guy to come in and he was absolutely fantastic. He has great instincts.
Kidzworld: Did you go to prom yourself?
- Aimee: I did. It was a good prom.
Kidzworld: Did you go with friend or date?
- Aimee: I went with a boyfriend.
Kidzworld: What did you wear?
- Aimee: I wore an over the knee, turquoise sparkly number with spaghetti straps that had this giant satin belt thing with a giant bow in the back.
Kidzworld: What should a guy never do on a date if he wants to continue going out with you?
- Aimee: Oh, pick up his cell phone and play with it. That’s a huge turn off! That’s disrespectful!
Kidzworld: What’s it like to carry the lead part in this film?
- Aimee: It’s really exciting actually. I’m here every single day, sunup to sundown. It’s definitely a lot more work but I think a bigger payoff in the end.
Kidzworld: What was it like coming to the end of “Friday Night Lights” after five years?
- Aimee: I kind of grew up on the show. It was a little bittersweet. It was like a second family. Also, at the same time, you’ve got to move on. Julie goes to college and moves on too.
Kidzworld: Who would be your fave celebrity prom date?
- Aimee: Dane Cook because he would be funny and keep me entertained.
Meet Nova Prescott
Kidzworld: What music do you like?
- Aimee: I like Death Cab for Cutie.
Kidzworld: Are there any books that made a difference for you when you were younger?
- Aimee: My favorite book growing up was “The Secret Garden” and I liked reading “The Road” by Cormac McCarthy. I read “Twilight” when it first came out and enjoyed it. “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” is a great book. I’ve always been vegetarian but I’m now Vegan 99 percent of the time. I feel a lot better and cleaner and I’m ethically a lot happier.
Kidzworld: What do you do for fun when you aren’t filming?
- Aimee: Go shopping! I got a cool army jacket at Forever 21 for like 20 bucks and I’ve gotten so many compliments on it. And I love Jimmy Choo shoes.
Kidzworld: Favorite stores?
- Aimee: I love make-up so Sephora is a big favorite of mine because you can test them all out. I love trying on different eye shadows. I have a huge collection of them. I’m normally on the hunt for good purple and greeny eye shadows.
Kidzworld: What do you hope audiences take away from seeing Prom?
- Aimee: Everybody has this perfect idea of their senior year of high school and how great things are gonna be and, in reality, high school’s not perfect. It’s life. I think no matter where you go to school or what type of school you go to there’s always those teenage problems you go through whether it’s breaking up with a boyfriend or girl drama or not getting asked to prom. I think a lot of people can relate to and enjoy this story.
By: Lynn Barker