Earthquake: How to make an Emergency Supply Kit
The 2011 Earthquake in Japan has startled the World. It has reminded us to be prepared for natural disasters. Kidzworld wants you to know some of the basic safety procedures just in case you ever find yourself in the middle of an Earthquake.
The most important thing to remember during an earthquake is to DROP, COVER and HOLD ON. So remember to DROP to the floor and get under something for COVER and HOLD ON during the shaking.
After the earthquake has happened, it is possible that vital services like water, heat, Internet / TV, will be shut down for many days. If you prepare yourself an Emergency Supply Kit, you may be able to save your family from serious complications.
Here’s how to make your own kit:
- Water – one gallon per person per day (Store in 2-litre pop bottles are the best!)
- Food – ready to eat without cooking
- Manual can opener and some cooking utensils
- First Aid kit & instructions
- A copy of important documents & phone numbers
- Warm clothes and rain gear for each family member
- Heavy work gloves
- Disposable camera
- Unscented liquid household bleach and an eyedropper for water purification
- Personal hygiene items including toilet paper, feminine supplies, hand sanitizer and soap
- Plastic sheeting, duct tape and utility knife for covering broken windows
- Tools such as a crowbar, hammer & nails, staple gun, adjustable wrench and bungee cords.
- Blanket or sleeping bag
- Large heavy duty plastic bags and a plastic bucket for waste and sanitation
- Don’t forget water and supplies for your pets.
Washing the Water
It is a great idea for you to learn how to disinfect water. There is a chance that many people will be without water for days and if you know how to purify dirty water, you may save someone’s life. Here’s how you do it:
- Strain the water through a t-shirt or some type of cloth
- Boil the water for 5 minutes
- Add oxygen back to the water by pouring the water back and forth between two containers
- If the water is clear add 8 drops of bleach. If the water is cloudy add 16 drops. (Make sure this is regular bleach by checking the label for 5.25% sodium hypochlorite)
- Shake and let it sit for at least 30 minutes
If you have your own Earthquake story, please make a comment about any tips you might know about that helped you get through that time…