Adam Hicks Q&A
Teen actor and musician Adam Hicks has been the lead in shows like Zeke and Luther and also stars as Wen the keyboard player in Disney’s breakout musical hit Lemonade Mouth. Find out more in his Kidzworld Q&A!
Adam plays "Wen" the keyboard player in Lemonade Mouth
Adam Hicks and Lemonade Mouth co-star Bridgit Mendler
Adam says "you have to love to perform" is some of the best advice he's ever received
KW: How did you get the part in Lemonade Mouth?
- Adam: I auditioned for the part of "Wen" as I really liked that role and when I got in there they said to me "We hear you rap” since I had done a few music videos already, so I did a rap for them after reading my lines and then the waiting process begins, which can be brutal! You never know if you have the part no matter how good you feel you have tried.
KW: Were you excited to do songs for the soundtrack?
- Adam: Yes, I was very excited to be given the chance to combine my love of song writing and acting in one project!
KW: Do you think you will want to continue pursuing both music and acting as you get older?
- Adam: Yes, that is my career choice. I just love to create music and write songs and love performing for my fans, there's nothing like it. I have always loved acting, and getting to create and expand on the character.
KW: Before getting cast in Zeke and Luther, were you into skateboarding?
- Adam: I actually did skateboard and I think lots of kids can relate to Luther and his craziness, his ability to make people laugh. I wasn't like Luther, LOL, I was just really trying to be the next Tony Hawk when I was ten. So it was amazing when I went for the "Zeke and Luther" audition to find out that Luther wants to be a pro skater.
KW: What are some of your favorite hobbies?
- Adam: I spend most of my down time writing songs…and playing the guitar and keyboards. I also love to read, I really like History, so I read a lot of history books.
KW: Who do you look up to in the acting industry?
- Adam: I really admire Robert Redford and what he envisioned when he created the Sundance Film Festival, I love his movies, it would be amazing to meet him, let alone audition for him. I've always wanted to and funny enough we went to Sundance for Christmas one year and my Mom kept bugging me to go for an early morning walk down to their shops/ restaurant but I was so tired she ended up going alone, she was sitting outside and Robert Redford came up to her and said ' Merry Christmas, it was Christmas Eve morning. She said to me "Well, you'll never guess who I just saw...your idol... and of course we all said " no way", we thought she was making it up, but apparently he often goes in the shops there!
KW: Were you surprised that Lemonade Mouth was such a hit?
- Adam: I was just really happy that it has done so well. We had such a great time filming the movie and we all became such good friends, more like a family. We really all had this great chemistry and I think in the end that really shows up in the movie.
KW: What is your favourite memory of being on-set?
- Adam: We all became so close that we could literally look at each other and know what that person was thinking, so that would make for some really funny experiences as we would all start laughing together and we hadn't said a word. We had an amazing Director (Patricia Riggen) and producer (Debra Martin Chase) and they were just really supportive. of all of us.
KW: What did you like most about the story?
- Adam: I love when we perform "Breakthru" I love the energy in that scene and in the story it shows us as a true band. I feel we all really get to connect with our fans as well and show them we are truly a real band. I also love when I get to surprise Olivia with the baby kitten.
KW: What is best piece of advice you’ve received as an actor?
- Adam: the very best advice is " You have to love to perform" It has to be in your blood because it can be a very hard business, you can go through many years of rejection, so you have to love the art and have faith in yourself or you just can't survive. I have been acting since I was 7 and was very lucky that my parents allowed me to continue as it can be hard on a family as well.
KW: Do you have any projects coming up?
- Adam: yes, I have written a "Las Vegas" Rap/Song for my hometown which will be out soon and of course we have been busy with the Lemonade Mouth promos in Europe. I have the Lemonade Mouth ( 2) coming up and one other movie that I start filming in the next few months that I can't release info on yet, so it's been pretty busy lately!
- Book: "Night " by Elie Wiesal
- Movie: Original "Oliver" ( Oliver Twist)
- Sport: I like soccer
- Song: I can't pick just one..I love so many!
Check out "Breakthrough" from Lemonade Mouth:
Have Your Say
What did you think of Lemonade Mouth? Let us know in the comments section below!
- Adam Hicks and Bridgit Mendler Q&A
- Lemonade Mouth Actors Talk Music and More!
- Fashion Tips From Lemonade Mouth Star Bridgit Mendler