How to Make a Haunted House
Wanna build your own haunted house for Halloween? While making a haunted house is easy, making a “scary” one is not. Follow Kidzworld's tips on how to make your haunted house one of the spookiest on the block!
Scary Story Success
To make a haunted house, all you really need is an empty room. However, anyone can decorate a room full of spider webs, jack-o-lanterns, and ghosts made out of white sheets… but that isn’t going to scare anyone these days. The best way to make that exact same room scary is to add a story to the room. Before your guests enter the room, have your dad tell them a scary story about why the room is haunted.
Courtesy of irvingtonhalloween.com
Here are a few story ideas:
- There is a boogeyman that lives somewhere in the room. You want your guests to help make him leave
- There is a graveyard nearby and ghosts come to the room to warn people about something, but no one knows what the warning is… yet
- If you say a certain chant, you can summon your great-great-great grandma to visit
Courtesy of fountaindaleteens.wordpress.com
Now that you have a story, when your guests enter the room, they have something to think about, and it’s kind of eerie… but not scary yet. Something has to happen for your haunted house to be a complete success. The best way to scare your guests is to have someone else hiding in your haunted house and when your guests least expect it… wooooooooo!
Tips of Terror
Here are a few other tips to help make your haunted house scary:
- There is a closet with an open door. Don't even say anything, but if they go near it... have someone hiding in there and scare them somehow
- A face in the window... but only every now and then
- Pure silence in a dark room and then a faint creek or a sudden slam happens once or twice.
- Sound effects on a loop are lame and don’t fool anyone
- Music can be creepy but if you want to be original, record yourself playing the piano gently. Don’t know how to play the piano… even better!!!
- Have someone run into the room frantically pretending to be scared or hurt. Cover them with ketchup for bonus points!
- If your dad is leading your guests through the haunted house, get your big brother to jump out of the shadows and attack him with a meat cleaver. Make sure to rehearse the scene so it doesn't look lame.
- An attack might be to cliché for you… maybe just tell your little sister to stand in the corner of your room not moving at all. Now that’s scary!!!
Have Your Say
Are you going to make a Haunted House for Halloween? Let us know by leaving a comment below!