Philly Phanatic Bio
Besides a foot-long hotdog and a goal by the home team, the mascot is probably the next best thing at a sporting event. Who’s the greatest mascot ever? Obviously the Philly Phanatic.
- Job: Mascot for the Philadelphia Phillies
- Height: 6' 6"
- Weight: 300 pounds (mostly fat)
- Waist: 90 inches
- Eyes: White eyeballs, black pupils, purple eyelashes and blue eyebrows
- Skin: Bright green fur
- Physical Attributes: Overweight, clumsy feet, extra long beak, extra long curled-up tongue, gawking neck and "slight" case of body odor
- Birthplace: Galapagos Islands
- Mom: Phoebe
- Best Friend: Phyllis
- Favorite Food: cheesesteaks, soft pretzels, hoagies, scrapple and tastykakes
- Favorite Movie: Rocky
- Favorite Song: "Motown Philly" (and "Take Me Out To The Ballgame", of course!)
- Greatest Moment: The parade down Broad Street after the Phillies won the 1980 and the 2008 World Series
- Hobbies: Eating, reading, sleeping, and cheering on the Phillies!
Courtesy of the MLB
The Phanatic rides around on an ATV. During games, the Phanatic wanders the stadium, greeting guests. But don’t let the Phanatic catch you cheering for the opposition. He has been known to play pranks and embarrass rivals. Here are some other classic routines that the Phanatic does every game:
- Taunting the visiting team by dancing in front of their dugout, mocking the actions of their players, and smashing or stomping on an object, such as a batting helmet, representing the team.
- Standing on the roof of the Phillies' dugout during the bottom of the seventh inning for "The Phanatic Dance," which is consistently sponsored by Cabrini College, he leads the crowd in attempts to "hex" the opposing pitcher.
- Warming up in the bullpen.
- Shooting hot dogs into the stands using a pneumatic gun attached to his ATV.
- Visiting the various broadcast booths and committing various pranks such as pouring popcorn on the broadcasters, or serving them Philly cheesesteaks.
Courtesy of the MLB
The Phanatic has gotten into a lot of trouble over the years, but none as bad as the time where he was attacked by the LA Dodgers’ manager Tommy Lasorda. Here’s a bunch of other clips where you can see how the Phanatic is truly the greatest mascot ever!