All About Donuts
When it comes to grabbing a goodie to go nothing can beat a delicious donut (or doughnut). These rings of fried dough come in every flavor and frosting you can imagine, but how much do you really know about donuts? June 1st is National Donut Day, celebrate by finding out all about donuts!
Deep Fried and Delicious
Chances are you’ve enjoyed a donut or two in your lifetime, but do you know how they’re made? The classic ring-shaped donut is made by stretching dough and either connecting it together in a loop or using a donut cutter (which is why you can also buy donut holes). Once this is done they’re ready to throw into hot oil to be fried. After frying they’re ready for the final touch – glazing with a flavored icing or being sprinkled by icing sugar. Donuts are usually made out of either cake batter or yeast-based dough.
Cook Book to History Book
The appearance of donuts in American cuisine is actually unclear, although the first mention of one is in an 1803 cookbook. One theory about how donuts became the popular in North America is that the recipe was introduced by Dutch settlers, much like cookies, cobblers and apple pie.
Donuts Around the World
Many different cultures around the world have their own form of donut, just take a look at the list below!
- Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia all have “Lagayamat”, a ball of fried dough powdered with sugar.
- India has a ring-shaped snack called” Vada”, made from lentil or potato flour instead of cake batter and “Balushahi ” made from flour and dipped in clarified butter and sugar syrup.
- China has an “ox-tongue pastry” named because of its oval shape.
- Iran has “Bamiyeh”, fritters or different shapes and sizes covered in sugar syrup.
- In Israel jelly donuts are traditional Hannukah food, filled with red jelly and topped with icing sugar.
- In Austria they have “Krapfen”, which are not ring shaped but usually filled with apricot jam.
- In Germany they are called “Berliners”.
- In Greece their donuts come in the shape of an 8 and covered in sugar, they are called “Loukoumas”
Donuts or Do-Nots?
Even though they are delicious, experts agree that donuts are not the healthiest snack due to being deep-fried and sugary. So while it’s okay to indulge in a boston cream craving, don’t let long john’s be the only snack you long for!
Have Your Say
What’s your fave kind of donut? Let us know in the comments section below!