Mimi Kirkland Q&A
In her debut movie role, 8-year-old actress Mimi Kirkland stars alongside Josh Duhamel as Lexie, the daughter of a man in a small town who falls for a mysterious woman in the new movie Safe Haven. Find out more in her Kidzworld Q&A!
KW: How old are you and where are you from?
- Mimi: I am 8 years old and from Raleigh, North Carolina.
KW: What made you interested in acting?
- Mimi: I thought acting would be a fun experience. I liked entertaining people at school and seeing them laugh. At my pre-school graduation, my teacher asked us, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” In front of everyone, I said I wanted to be an actress.
KW: You’re in the upcoming movie Safe Haven, based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, what do you like most about the story?
- Mimi: I like it because it’s a love story and my Dad (Josh Duhamel) meets someone new, Katie (Julianne Hough) and falls in love. Plus, Lexie (me) gets a mom in her life again and a real family.
KW: Can you describe your character in the film? Are you similar in real life?
- Mimi: I play a six-year old girl named Lexie who is the daughter of Josh Duhamel’s character, Alex Wheatley. She is very sassy and loves to color and makes beaded jewelry. She is very close to her Dad and brother Josh (Noah Lomax) because their mother died.Yes, we are similar in real life. Just like Lexie, I love the beach, I like to color and I’m very close to my Dad. Lexie is also very talkative and outgoing like me.
KW: What was the most fun part of filming Safe Haven?
- Mimi: Playing on the set with Josh, Julianne and Noah was fun. Eating donuts and playing on the swing in front of our house was fun too.
KW: Which actors do you look up to?
- Mimi: I like Bridgit Mendler because she works really hard and can sing and act.
KW: What kinds of roles would you like to do in the future?
- Mimi: I’d like to continue to work in the movies and maybe even television. If they made another Home Alone movie, I would want to play the kid.
KW: What is the best piece of advice you’ve received since starting out?
- Mimi: Be yourself and have fun.
KW: What are your favorite hobbies?
- Mimi: Riding my bike, roller skating, swimming, cooking, playing the recorder, and traveling.
KW: What do your friends think about you being in a movie?
- Mimi: They think it’s really cool!
- Subject: Science
- Music: Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift
- Food: Apples, cheeseburgers
- Color: Light pink
Have Your Say
What do you think of Mimi Kirkland? Let us know in the comments section below.