Jaden Martin Q&A
Twelve year old actor/model Jaden Martin appears in the new sci-fi flick After Earth alongside Will Smith and Jaden Smith, in fact he plays a younger version of Jaden Smith's character - find out more in his Kidzworld Q&A!
Jaden is an actor and model
Kidzworld: How did you get involved with acting to begin with?
- Jaden: I saw a kid on TV and I wanted to be that kid, and be on TV too. So, my mom enrolled me at AGI performing arts school in Atlanta where I took dance, vocal and acting classes.
Kidzworld: We hear you’re also a model, who have you modeled for? What was your most fun gig?
- Jaden: Disney, Nivea, Ford Automobile, Chase Bank, Target, Kohl's, Crocs, Gap are a few I have done. My most fun modeling Job was Target because it was a backyard shoot and I got to play with my friend. And it was the first poster I ever saw of myself back home in Atlanta. I was getting socks and looked up and was like, “Mom, that's me!”
Kidzworld: You have a part in the new sci-fi movie After Earth, can you tell us about your character?
- Jaden: I play 9-year-old Kitai Raige, who is the younger Jaden Smith in the movie. My sister is Zoe Kravitz and our dad is Will Smith in the film. He is away a lot of the time, but he always tells us that he loves us.
Kidzworld: Are you a sci-fi fan?
- Jaden: Yes, I Love futuristic movies, and seeing how they are created is so exciting to me!
Jaden went to a performing arts school
Kidzworld: What was it like working with Will Smith and Jaden Smith?
- Jaden: Well I really didn't get to work with Jaden Smith as I play his younger version in the movie. However, I met him and he was really cool. He actually asked to meet me my first day on set. Mr. Will Smith was really down to earth and he treated me like family. I first met him in hair and makeup and I said, “Hey, dad!” and he said, “Hey, son,” and we bonded. He also invited me to hang out at his trailer base camp when were where not filming.
Kidzworld: What was the best part of filming After Earth?
- Jaden: Seeing all the cool things on set and how they made the futuristic homes and spaceships was awesome. But the best part was The best part was that I got to work with my idol, Will Smith, and hang out with him at base camp. They had a basketball court, pool table, ping-pong table and flat screen TVs.
Kidzworld: What is the best piece of advice you've received since starting out?
- Jaden: Don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone.
Kidzworld: Which actors do you look up to the most?
- Jaden: Will Smith, and not just because I did a movie with him, but because he always gives positive advice and he's a great actor.
Jaden says he looks up to Will Smith
Kidzworld: What kinds of roles would you like to play in the future?
- Jaden: Definitely a super hero, like Spider-Man or Iron Man. I would love to do stunts and save people. I think that's cool!
Kidzworld: What has been your fave role to play so far?
- Jaden: Spindle in "Mr. Monster", where I'm the cool brave kid that all the other kids look up to. Being on set was so fun because it was all kids so filming was just like playing with your friends. Plus, the wardrobe was cool and I got to carry a crossbow as my weapon.
- Movie: Iron Man 3, but I'm sure it's going to be After Earth once it comes out!
- Food: Pizza and In-and-Out “Double Double” hamburgers.
- Subject: History because I love learning about the past, like the Punic Wars.
- Book: "Where the Red Fern Grows"
Have Your Say
Are you going to see After Earth? Let us know in the comments section below.