Top Female Tennis Stars
From the best backhands to the slickest serves, Kidzworld checks out some of the top women's tennis players who'll be playing at the 2005 US Open.
2005 US Open - Maria Sharapova
Maria Sharapova moved to the United States from Russia when she was seven and trained at an expensive tennis school in Florida, after getting the attention of tennis scouts. The blonde, Russian seventeen year-old upset Serena Williams to win the 2004 Wimbledon tennis tournament and is now getting as much attention for her good looks as she is for her brilliant backhand. Sharapova is the number one seeded player in the world and her powerful serve, mental toughness and great court coverage have made her a favorite to win at the 2005 US Open.
2005 US Open - Justine Henin-Hardenne
Justine Henin-Hardenne was the number one ranked female tennis player on the planet and won the US Open in 2003. She missed several tournaments, including Wimbledon, in 2004 after becoming sick with a nasty virus. Justine Henin-Hardenne became the first Belgian tennis player to win a Grand Slam tennis tournament when she defeated fellow Belgian tennis star, Kim Clijsters, in the final of the 2003 French Open. Henin-Hardenne won the gold medal in women's singles at the 2004 Summer Olympic Games in Athens, Greece.
2005 US Open - Amelie Mauresmo
Amelie Mauresmo is the number three ranked female tennis player at the US Open. She is a powerful and athletic player, who loves to play an aggressive game. Despite her number three ranking, the French tennis star has yet to win a Grand Slam tournament. Mauresmo reached the final of the Australian Open in 1999 but disappointed her fans in France by failing to win the French Open in 2004. Besides being a great tennis player, Amelie Mauresmo also has a need for speed. She loves go-kart racing, riding horses and downhill skiing.
Female Tennis Star Fun Facts
- Maria Sharapova used to be called the "Siberian Siren" because of the loud grunting sounds she made whenever she hit the ball.
- Justine Henin-Hardenne is superstitious and avoids walking on the tennis court lines between points during a match.
- Amelie Mauresmo has a golden retriever, named Sophia.
- Other women who are favored to win the US Open included Serena and Venus Williams, who are both top ten seeds. For more info on the Williams sisters, click here.
- 2005 French Open Facts
- 2005 Wimbledon Tennis Tournament
- Serena and Venus Williams Biography
- More Stories On Your Fave Athletes