NBA Playoff Facts & Records
The 2008 NBA Playoffs is the hottest ticket in the sports world right now. Check out these slam dunkin' basketball playoff facts and records.
Best of the Best
- The Boston Celtics have won more NBA titles than any other team. The team won eight straight championships between 1959 and 1966.
- The Los Angeles Lakers have won 14 NBA titles and have made a record 28 appearances in the Finals.
- The San Antonio Spurs set an NBA record by winning 12 straight playoff games on the way to winning their first NBA title in 1999.
- Not surprisingly, the great Michael Jordan holds many NBA playoff scoring records. M.J. is the all-time NBA playoff scoring leader with 5,987 career playoff points. He also holds the record for career playoff scoring average at 33.4 points per game and set an NBA playoff record in 1986 by scoring 63 points in a single playoff game.
- The quick and sneaky, Allen Iverson, was the ultimate hoops thief on May 13, 1999, when he had a record 10 steals in a playoff game against the Orlando Magic.
- Basketball legend, Bill Russell is the all-time leader in playoff rebounds with 4,104. The late Wilt Chamberlain of the Philadelphia Warriors set an NBA playoff record in 1967 by grabbing 41 rebounds against the Boston Celtics.
- Magic Johnson holds the record for career playoff assists with 2,346, including 24 in one game against the Phoenix Suns in 1984.
- Michael Jordan was named NBA Finals MVP six times during his career. Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'Neal and Magic Johnson have each won the award three times.
- In 2003, the First Round of the NBA playoffs was changed from a best-of-five series to a best-of-seven series.
- Despite being one of the NBA's top playoff stars, Shaquille O'Neal has always struggled at free-throw shooting, which has made him the frequent target of fouls. Opponents have often attempted the "Hack-A-Shaq" strategy to send O'Neal to the free throw line in big games as often as possible. Shaq has attempted a record 1,995 foul shots in the NBA playoffs but has only sunk 1028 (barely half of them).
Who do you think's gonna with the 2008 NBA title? Comment your NBA playoff picks and predictions below to Kidzworld.
- NBA Playoffs Quiz
- College Basketball Facts and Records
- NBA All Star Game Facts and Records
- More Sports Trivia, Facts and Records