Jaromir Jagr Biography
Jaromir Jagr is a not-so-lean, mean fighting machine in the NHL. "Czech" out Kidzworld's bio on this right wing player who is now the captain of the New York Rangers.
Jaromir Jagr - From Czechoslovakia to Pittsburgh
Jaromir Jagr was born the day after Valentine's Day in 1972 in the Czech Republic. He began skating at the age of three and by the time he was 16, he was already playing hockey at the highest level of competition in his country, with the Kladno Poldi. He played only one season with the team before being selected fifth overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the first round of the 1990 NHL Entry Draft. Jagr helped the Penguins win the Stanley Cup in 1991 and 1992 and at 19, became the youngest player in NHL history to score a goal in the Stanley Cup finals!
Jaromir Jagr - A Rocky Road
Jaromir Jagr struggled in the 2000-01 season. He seemed to have lost his scoring touch and butted heads with teammate Mario Lemieux, who had come out of retirement. When the Penguins could no longer meet Jagr's massive salary demands, he was traded to the Washington Capitals, but still couldn't find his scoring touch. He was eventually traded to the New York Rangers in 2004.
Jaromir Jagr - NHL Superstar
Jaromir Jagr has become one of the most dominant players since joining the New York Rangers. He holds a ton of records including most points in a season (123), most goals in a season (54), and most assists by a right wing in a season (69). He's also won his third Lester B. Pearson Award, his seventh NHL First Team All-Star and helped the Rangers qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs in the 2005-06 season. Unfortunately, they lost in the Conference Quarterfinals to the New Jersey Devils. Right before the first game of the 2006-07 NHL season, Jaromir Jagr was announced as the new captain of the New York Rangers, replacing Mark Messier.
Jaromir Jagr - Did U Know?
- Jaromir Jagr wears number 68 in honor of the Prague Spring rebellion that occurred in Czechoslovakia in 1968. It's also the year his grandfather died.
- On November 19, 2006, Jaromir Jagr scored his 600th career goal, making him the 16th player in NHL history to achieve this milestone.
- Jaromir Jagr's nickname is Jags.
- Jaromir Jagr is the leading active point scorer among European-born NHL players, and is second on the all-time points list for European players.
- Jaromir Jagr was known as the "Czechmate" when he was first drafted by the NHL.