Stan's Our Man - Stanley Cup Facts
Another hard-hitting, slap shot-shooting season of NHL playoff action is underway. Kidzworld takes a look at one of the NHL's greatest legends.
He's been around the NHL longer than anyone else. He's traveled the world. He's been to some of the greatest parties - with rock stars, movie stars and even the President. He's been kissed more times than Brett Hull's scored. But this guy's also had some real rough rides. A jokester on the Howard Stern show once pooped on him, he's been thrown into a canal, kidnapped and left for dead in the bottom of a swimming pool.
So who is this superstar? None other than our buddy Stan - as in first name Stanley, last name Cup. Here's a closer look at the Stanley Cup.
Stanley Cup Stats
- Name: Stanley Cup
- Age: 112
- Place of Birth: London, England
- Height: 2 feet, 11 inches
- Weight: 34.5 lbs.
- Marital Status: Single
More Stanley Cup Facts and Adventures:
- In 1980, Clarke Gillies of the New York Islanders let his dog eat dinner from the Stanley Cup
- In 1994, the Stanley Cup was taken on MTV Prime Time Beach House and stuffed with clams and oysters.
- When the New Jersey Devils won the Stanley Cup in 2003, goaltender, Martin Brodeur took the Cup to a movie theatre and ate popcorn out of it.
- The Stanley Cup is now accompanied by a body guard on all his adventures.
- There are more than 2,200 different names engraved on the Stanley Cup, including players, coaches and owners of the Cup-winning teams. Only eight of those are women.
- Lord Stanley never saw a Stanley Cup championship game, nor did he ever present the Cup. Although his term as Governor General ended in September 1893, he was forced to return to England on July 15.
- The Stanley Cup has served as a valuable morale booster for Canadian troops and their NATO allies.
Who will party with the Stanley Cup this year?