Anne Hathaway Biography
Birthdate: November 12, 1982
Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York
Anne Hathaway's dad, Gerard Hathaway is an attorney and her mother, Kate McCauley is a famous stage actress. Anne has two brothers, one older and one younger. With an actress in the family, it was almost inevitable that Anne would be born with acting in her blood. While growing up in New Jersey, she was involved in acting and singing and was nominated for the Paper Mills' Rising Star Award (given to the best high school actress in New Jersey). She also performed in the All-Eastern US High School Honors Choir.
Get Real Princess
Anne's first big break came when she scored the part of the only daughter in the 1999 family drama, Get Real. The show was a success with critics, and got her noticed, she was even asked to make appearances at the Teen Choice Awards and the Billboard Awards. Anne went on to audition for a Disney movie called The Princess Diaries, based on the book by Meg Cabot. It wasn't Anne’s good looks, charm or raw acting talent that ended up snagging the role for her - it was her klutziness. She accidentally fell off of her chair during her audition and was hired on the spot. The film was a huge success and put Anne on the map.
Anne Gets Smart
Since The Princess Diaries, Anne filmed a Diaries sequel, another fairy tale flick, Ella Enchanted, and had a supporting role in the Oscar-nominated movie, Brokeback Mountain. She got rave reviews playing a personal assistant to a mean-spirited magazine editor in The Devil Wears Prada and author Jane Austen in Becoming Jane. Now you can catch Anne playing Agent 99 alongside Steve Carell in Get Smart. But don’t worry if you miss out, Anne has three more flicks on the go for 2008 and 2009.
Did U Know?
- Anne was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress in 2009 for her role as Kym in Rachel Getting Married. She lost to Kate Winslett.
- Anne received a lot of negative publicity for dating ex-boyfriend Raffaello Follieri, because he was constantly in trouble with the law.
- Anne was announced as the new face of Lancome in 2008.
- She studied English and Women's Studies at Vassar but later transferred to New York University in 2005.
- Anne is a vegetarian.
- Anne Hathaway has the same name as William Shakespeare's wife.
- Anne's close friends and family always call her Annie
"Kindness is really important to me in finding my own prince - so are patience and a sense of humor. Without those qualities he's no Prince Charming!"
- The Devil Wears Prada Movie Review
- Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement DVD Review
- Princess Diaries DVD Review
- Ella Enchanted DVD Review
- More Biographies of Your Fave Celebs!